PDA

View Full Version : Amex Insurance

Sparty
05-15-2013, 01:19 AM
In case anyone is interested in using AMEX premium insurance I thought I would post our recent experience.

In April, our rental truck was damaged in an attempted theft. The thieves damaged the steering column cover and destroyed the lock cylinder in an attempt to steal the truck. Luckily for us, the rental agency had installed an electronic device that prevented the truck from being started.

As soon as the police finished their investigation, I called AMEX and they took my claim over the phone. Although they handle the claim directly with the rental agency, I took copies of required documents home and faxed them to AMEX as well, since mail service to and from Bonaire is often slow and not reliable. The claim was filed on or about April 4th and, when we returned home on April 7th, I faxed what documents I had to AMEX. A few days later, I received a copy of the repair invoice from the rental agency via email and forwarded that to AMEX as well. In addition, AMEX contacted the rental agency direct and obtained additional documentation from them.

I did follow up with several phone calls to AMEX to make sure the claim was progressing. That did help because, at one point, they had all the documents but the adjuster working the claim had not been notified. Finally, today, April 14th, AMEX notified me the claim was approved and the check was on its way to the rental agency.

I think AMEX preformed very well and it saved me the $500 deductible that many, if not all, agency CDW plans require, especially since the AMEX premium coverage only cost me $25 for five weeks of coverage. I know that some rental agencies have CDW plans that have lower deductibles but they charge even more for those than the regular CDW. I also have heard that a couple of the agencies are now requiring you take their CDW. For those of us who come for a month or two, that will be a deal breaker and make rentals too expensive.

kob
05-15-2013, 07:13 AM
Great news, sparty. We always use Amex with Poppy (Telerin) for that very reason. Thanks for the post.

Sparty
05-15-2013, 09:02 AM
I should add that in 2000 we had similar good results with Master Card when a van we rented was hit by a hit and run driver when it was parked in front of Karels. Again we had prompt payment with no deductible. Unfortunately Visa and Master Card do not insure pickups.