PDA

View Full Version : Fox Rental Update

Tribs
05-11-2013, 09:52 AM
I said I would post my experience with Fox Rental so here it is thus far.....

For those of you who love the banged up trucks. That is what I got. I'm so happy! It is scratched, dented, and pretty damaged. That is a major plus!

They only have SUVs so if you prefer the pick up, keep that in mind.

I think there was a communication error in my booking. You have to pay for your truck in advance and they make you take the CDW insurance, it is not an option. Since they were charging for the insurance I asked if they would need to take a deposit. The response was no, that I would have a $500.00 deductible. I think that is the first error in communication. They took the deposit, not a deductible. Also, the woman charged me $550.00 instead of $500.00. Odd...but that is what she said it was.

Also, the private driver I had to pay for was actually one of those taxi vans. I was surprised because it was $12.00 and he didn't take me to Fox, he took me to AB. AB has free pick up. I'm sure this is some island technicality. But wow....that driver made a ton of money today. LOL

Overall, things are good. I will keep you all posted throughout the trip if something goes awry.

Tribs
05-16-2013, 12:53 PM
Day 5 and I had a flat tire. I'm really over heated, so I apologize if this ends up sounding whiny. I never get flats on Bonaire. I know how to change a tire, even on a huge SUV. However, when the spare is flat and there is no tire iron, NO ONE can change the tire.

Thankfully, the property manager for the house I am staying at drove by and stopped to help. He was actually going to change the tire for me, but that is when we discovered that the spare was flat and the tire iron was missing. He drove to the rental office and had them send help. The guys who came out to help were very nice. However, I was being charged $50.00 for 2 flat tires. I told them they gave me a flat spare. The guy said he would fix the bill when he got back to the office. I'm hoping he does because that was my food budget for the week. It was supposed to be $25.00, not $50.00.

I'm a little perturbed though. They were very nice and helpful, but if I had a tire iron and a good spare, I wouldn't be out the money. When I asked the two guys where the tire iron was in the SUV they said there was none. They also said I should just call WHEN it happens again. NO! It shouldn't happen again and I shouldn't have to call them. I should have the equipment to change a tire, especially since you cannot carry a phone with you on Bonaire because nothing is safe in the car. I asked the guys how to get a tire iron and they said go ask at the office. I went to the office and they looked at me like I was nuts. LOL Ok, maybe I am - the heat did get to me. In any case, there is no spot for the tire iron in the SUV. I found that curious. I now have a tire iron bouncing around in my tank rack.

I also noticed on the bill that the gas level listed at check out was different than what the woman at check out wrote down. I fear that I will have to dispute the gas issue and the extra tire charge when I leave. Hopefully not. I just thought people should be aware. I have a few weeks to stress over all of this. LOL

In any case, lost a dive, out some money, very over heated, and hopefully not too whiny. Peace ya'll!

kob
05-16-2013, 01:13 PM
Tribs -- very helpful info for anyone considering renting from Fox. This is why Poppy is so popular !!

wwguy
05-16-2013, 02:13 PM
Tribs, sorry to read about the extra stress. I'd be frustrated too.

Most of the rental companies will show you the actual gas guage and their fuel level entry on the rental form, as well as presence of a full spare tire, jack, and lug wrench when you rent the vehicle. This is to protect you and them both for the exact reasons you mentioned. For others reading this thread, you should insist on this if they don't do it themselves. It's also a good idea to review flat tire protocol with the agent before you drive away with the vehicle. I.e. you need to know who changes the tire, who repairs the flat tire, and who pays for the repair.

It's also worth noting that tires are very expensive on Bonaire and they usually run them far longer than we would in North America. There's also been a recent trend towards importing used tires that have worn beyond their legal lifespan in other countries. (I'm not sure if this is still happening, but it was the case late last year.) This means you should the condition of your tires carefully, including the spare, when you take possession of the vehicle. Depending on the rental company's policy, it's possible that you may be charged to repair or replace a tire that was already far beyond it's practical lifespan. This is another reason to discuss flat tire protocol before taking possession of the vehicle.

Tribs
05-16-2013, 03:25 PM
Well for those reading, if any company tells you that you have to have them fix the tires, don't rent with them. There are many good companies on island that give you good spare tires, jacks, and tire irons. You can simply take the flat to one of the gas stations and they will fix it for you. I've been coming to the island for 9 years and this is the first time there was an issue. Also, have a man check the spare. Both the woman who checked me out and myself leaned on the spare to make sure it wasn't flat. We were not strong enough to push it in. I guess that is just another hazard of traveling alone as a woman.

And yes, the gas situation was handled as normal...she wrote down the correct amount. I have the hand written check out receipt. It just does not match the printed computer receipt. So, I guess the warning there is to check both. Thankfully I always keep both. I just hate having to battle over these things.

Tribs
05-16-2013, 06:06 PM
The tire they put on the truck today is low. I guess I have a vehicle that I cannot trust. This won't be a fun trip.

parachute
05-16-2013, 07:00 PM
The tire they put on the truck today is low. I guess I have a vehicle that I cannot trust. This won't be a fun trip.

I suggest you buy a tire inflator adaptor and take it with you diving. It connects to your lp hose and you can inflate a low tire from an air tank. Many dive shops sell them, about $13. Good insurance against getting stuck with a flat at an isolated and far away site.

ModFreddie
05-16-2013, 07:09 PM
great idea Parachute.. I always have one on my reg,,, I leave my drysuit hose on and put the inflator on that hose.

Tribs
05-16-2013, 07:15 PM
I've thought about those, but since we can't leave anything in the truck I never bought one. Freddie, you dive with your inflator and it is ok?

Tribs
05-16-2013, 07:16 PM
I love your quote. I just had a great cry and am now working on a rum/coke. :)

Judy W
05-16-2013, 07:48 PM
Sorry for your trouble Tribsy. The rum and coke should ease the frustration ;), maybe look into another rental company for the duration of your trip? Seems like a good idea to "nip-it-in-the-bud". Save yourself more aggravation and enjoy your vacation.

ModFreddie
05-16-2013, 08:25 PM
Tribsey I leave my drysuit hose on and attach the inflator to that.. it is fine... it gets rinsed and for 13 $ if I have to get one every year so be it... (makes a good tank banger too LOL )

parachute
05-17-2013, 05:49 AM
The inflator adaptor is pretty small. I usually kept it in my otter box during a dive.

Tribs
05-17-2013, 10:24 PM
I did buy an inflator. Thanks for the recommendation. The "new" tire that was bad to begin with, even though the guy said it was fine, went flat tonight. Thankfully I was visiting friends and they had a tank and inflator. I've sent off a message requesting assistance. I'm not sure what will happen. I guess I should have refused the new tire. If I type anymore, it will just be venting. So I will sign off for now and if the situation is resolved I will report.

Tribs
05-18-2013, 01:05 PM
All is good! I sent a message to them last night and went in this morning. I have a new tire. They were very nice, very professional. I am now very happy. :)

jimw
05-18-2013, 07:48 PM
I think I wouda dumped'em yesterday!! Will you use them again? I think I will not deal with them on future trips. Just back from our 15th or 20th--must get out the old logbooks and count up!! Never rented from them. I know they all have bad weeks, but jeeez...................

Tribs
05-21-2013, 09:37 AM
The saga continues.....went through gas pretty quickly. Not sure why. Filled up again (twice in less than a week) last night. This morning, no gas. The gas tank is leaking from the bolt. So.....has it been leaking the entire time or did someone steal the gas? No freaking idea and no way to prove either case.

kob
05-21-2013, 10:46 AM
tribs -- don't be surprised to find out it's theft. Happens pretty regularly that gas gets siphoned out in the middle of the night. Having a locking gas cap seems to be a common solution. Rotsa ruck !!

Tribs
05-21-2013, 11:23 AM
No....not a siphon job at all. This lovely truck has a drain plug/bolt. They just need to kneel down, unscrew it a bit, and it all pours out for them. Just freaking lovely.