PDA

View Full Version : Truck Theft.

Sparty
04-07-2013, 06:30 PM
We just returned from another great five weeks in Bonaire. Had two brief encounters with the Manta Ray and one with the Dolphins.

However, we did have the misfortune to be the victims of an attempted truck theft. Two days before our departure we went to use our truck in the morning and found someone had attempted to steal it. They had torn off the steering column cover and destroyed the key cylinder in an attempt to hot wire the truck. Luckily, for us, the truck had recently been stolen and recovered. As a result, the rental agency had installed a theft device that required the operator to enter a combination of numbers or the truck would not start. The vehicle was parked along the main road north of town near Pasa Bon Pizza.

The police responded promptly and a representative of the car agency arrived shortly there after as well. We filed a report and the police sent out a tech crew to try and obtain finger prints but with no luck. I called American Express and filed a claim and they said they would contact the rental company directly to resolve the claim. Hopefully it will work out OK. We were not required to pay anything at this point, pending resolution of the claim, and the rental agency promptly provided a replacement vehicle.

We were told that this was the 14th truck theft or attempt in the first 4 days of April!! The police said the thieves typically take them out into the bush, strip them, and set them on fire. We notice one up by Sabadeco with several wheels, tailgate, and tail light assemblies missing.

We consider ourselves lucky that they were not able to get the truck and that it did not happen the morning we were scheduled to leave. I have no idea what that would involve. I guess you need to sleep in your truck the night before just to be safe.

randl
04-07-2013, 09:24 PM
We, too, rented a truck last week that required a combination of numbers to start the motor. Thieves will quickly learn to skip vehicles that have the device.

Renters should insist on getting a truck that has one.

esculley
04-07-2013, 11:41 PM
so sad

Cockwheat
04-14-2013, 10:52 PM
Same thing happened to me back in September. The truck was parked in front of our rental house, three blocks from The Plaza Resort.

fraserfraser
04-15-2013, 09:04 AM
good to hear that the new switch requiring numbers be pressed worked! rented from Poppy this past March and had this device. thought it was a bit over the top but obviously I am wrong. good to see rental companies are taking precautions. ofcourse crime sucks! but its good to see a more active role being taken. been going to Bonaire since 2001 and renting trucks has always been the achilles heel to our vacation even though I've never personally been a victim.

denisemaine
04-15-2013, 02:25 PM
Which rental company accepted American Express and had this device on it?