PDA

View Full Version : Question about Buddy Dive tank fills

Jack
04-05-2013, 03:47 PM
We dove with Buddy Dive last summer. (We did not stay there, though)
They are really nice people, the boats were nice, the gear room, dock
and tanks from the dock area were all fine.

We liked the bar and lounge area by the pool.

My only complaint about them is that the Nitrox tanks from the drive through
were often only about 2700psi.
We would routinely go through 2 or 3 tanks each before we found one
that was at 3000psi. Sometimes we gave up after 3 or 4 and just
took one with less.

I like to get a full 3000psi to maximize my bottom time.

I mentioned this to the dive shop manager and he was nice about it, but
he talked about the tanks getting hot and they go through a lot of tanks, etc.
It did not change anything.

This one thing is forcing us to consider alternatives.

Does anyone have recent diving experience with Buddy Dive,
explicitly with using tanks from the drive though, that can say
that they have fixed the problem?

Thanks.

kob
04-05-2013, 04:14 PM
Over the past 15+ years we have used Buddy's for most of our fills, both air & nitrox (mostly nitrox), including as recently as last September. What you have experienced is the norm for the Buddy's drive thru, the Buddy's satelite at Bonaire Oceanfront Apts and the Buddy's satelite at Belmar, which we use regularly because it's only a 1/4 mi up the road from our place at Lighthouse Beach. You do have to gage each tank to make sure you're not getting a short fill and they generally range from 2900 - 3100 psi, with probably a quarter of them 2800 or less.

This may be due to worn valves, so that tanks filled that sit overnight get low. It may also be, as the manager claims, due to hot fills cooling down. In any event, in my experience, it is the norm. I have friends who have used others and they experience more or less the same.

So, if you get a tank with 2800 in it and you normally surface with 500, just surface with 300 and you get the same as if you started with 3000. In my experience, even when most computers show 0, there's usually at least 100-150 left in the tank.

Hope this helps.

wwguy
04-05-2013, 05:50 PM
If you want to get higher pressure fills, you might look at Dive Friends Bonaire. We got nitrox from their Hamlet location daily for 3 weeks in December and January. Most fills were 3100 to 3200 psi. 3000 was rare, and anything less we just set aside with the empties for refill.

YMMV.

randl
04-05-2013, 09:45 PM
Just spent a week with tanks from Buddy Dive's Bonaire Oceanfront Apartment location. Most of the tanks were right at 3000, about a third above (one at 3500) and a few below. Since we're checking each one we select, we set aside anything below 2900 or so. We also noted that the gauge at the NOX reader read lower than the gauges on our gear - by about 100 psi.

We've used both Dive Friends at Yellow Sub and Hamlet as well as Buddy at the drive through and the apartments and find everything to be fairly comparable.

randl

stretch
04-05-2013, 09:52 PM
We also used Dive Friends tanks in Jan./Feb. and had great fills. 3100 and 3200 psi
was usually the norm. Just like everyone else we always check the tanks before we
head out to the dive sites.

fraserfraser
04-06-2013, 05:02 PM
used Capt Don's nitrox this past March and was very happy with the fills-3200 norm. Buddy Dive I have found in my limited experience very lucky to get 3000.
may all my gripes be so petty :-)
will be trying Wannadive this summer. hope they are in the ballpark.

Paul
04-06-2013, 05:19 PM
We just returned from a week at Buddy's. We used the drive thru every day all day for our Nitrox. I would say 85% of the tanks were right at 3000 lbs. There was a different problem that we had to deal with. They locked the cage door and had an attendant on duty all day and into the night to hand out tanks. This was our 12th time at Buddy's and the tank room was always self service and they would tell you where the key was hidden for after hours. When we asked why, we were told that there was a group of regulars there that were abusing the two tank pp rule and dumping off truckloads of tanks at the end of the day. Hopefully this was only temporary.

wwguy
04-07-2013, 12:50 PM
We just returned from a week at Buddy's. We used the drive thru every day all day for our Nitrox. I would say 85% of the tanks were right at 3000 lbs. There was a different problem that we had to deal with. They locked the cage door and had an attendant on duty all day and into the night to hand out tanks. This was our 12th time at Buddy's and the tank room was always self service and they would tell you where the key was hidden for after hours. When we asked why, we were told that there was a group of regulars there that were abusing the two tank pp rule and dumping off truckloads of tanks at the end of the day. Hopefully this was only temporary.

That was probably the group in this trip report on Scuba Board (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/abc-islands/450961-bonaire-march-24-31-2013-trip-report.html): "The tank drive-through has a 2 tank per person limit, which made the day we did 3 dives in the National Park a bit tricky. We fooled the staff by taking 4 tanks the evening before, hiding them in truck 1, claiming our 8 tanks the following morning, and stacking them all up in one truck. Certain members of the dive staff were a bit hostile. We had one problem with someone, but it was resolved to our satisfaction after some arguing."