PDA

View Full Version : Capt Don's new oceanfront jr suites

tkaelin
03-17-2013, 05:32 PM
Would be interested in hearing from anyone who has stayed in Capt Don's new oceanfront jr. suites - likes, dislikes, suggestions, recommendations. Thanks.

Claudebruce
03-29-2013, 08:16 PM
I'll be interested in any info about these also. I'm headed to Habitat's new suites the last week of May. Any one else?

rayandpam
03-29-2013, 09:27 PM
Haven't stayed in them, they're on the North side of the dive shop, looks like a good ocean view and I think they have more of a kitchen unlike the ones with the pool view. They're newer than the old ones which some complain about being run down but they're fine with us but we get the poolview which can have its advantages and partial ocean view depending on which one you get.

rossell
04-04-2013, 02:16 PM
Wife and I stayed there Feb 2011, rooms were just a few months old at that point. Comfortable with large bed, small TV,couch, sink and small refrigerator. no place to cook though. If you can, get a first floor unit so that you can enter and exit room from patio as well as leave your dive gear there as well so you don't have to carry up and down stairs. Only complaint would be(unit i was in) located next to tank storage so a lot of tank banging first thing in the morning.

Tom
04-04-2013, 04:58 PM
Only complaint would be(unit i was in) located next to tank storage so a lot of tank banging first thing in the morning.

But you were right out there with them first thing to maximize dive time so it didn't matter, right?

rayandpam
04-04-2013, 08:17 PM
Love the sound of banging tanks in the morning, when I'm on Bonaire. OK, wrong about the kitchen, but we usually bring our own portable kitchen on vacations, single electric burner, medium pot and several utensils for breakfast and lunch, then eat out somewhere in the evening. It's probably illegal some places, the portable kitchen, but amazing what you can save when you're on a small budget.

jimw
04-05-2013, 08:51 AM
We were right behind the tank banging area last time--a most pleasant alarm sound!! We were up anyway, but some might be disturbed so a good thing to note...........We were in a 1 br bungalow with cook stove and very minimal utensils, but workable. We cooked a little and bought groceries at the oriental store nearby. Going again and will be in a 2br/2bath Oasis bungalow with cooking stuff.

rossell
04-05-2013, 02:30 PM
I knew when i said that, tank banging, a couple of forum members would would have a few things to say :)...
The last two times we have been in Bonaire we have stayed for 2 weeks both times, so we are in no rush to get out the door and under the H2O. We enjoy the the food and scenery as much as the diving.

rayandpam
04-06-2013, 06:33 PM
Call us crazy but we did our first boat dives on Bonaire 2 years ago, then last year we spent 2 weeks there for the first time, this year we're staying 2 weeks and doing 12 boat dives each per week. We've stayed in the oceanview rooms on the south side both times, once on the 1st floor and then once on the 2nd floor. I really can't say which I prefer, on the 1st floor there is easier access getting into the room because you can enter from the front but I keep a eye out on our wetsuits drying on the patio, on the 2nd floor I don't worry about the wetsuits and leave them out all nite (hate putting on a wet wetsuit) but you have to walk around to the back of the rooms to get in. Lifes rough, all these decisions.

liteweight
05-26-2013, 07:03 PM
I stayed there last year in one of the lower units close to the dive shop. The only bad thing I can say is that the 'fridge' is only a dorm fridge, so once you put bottled water and a few groceries in there it's full. (Wouldn't be a problem though if you don't put as much beer in the fridge as I do!)

Philip Gelber
06-20-2013, 11:40 AM
Absolutely the best accommodations at the property. Nice water view, relatively quiet. Only about a year old.

The only down side that I find has nothing to do with these rooms but rather with Capt Don's. To get tanks into your rental truck is tough for two reasons. First, parking at Capt Don's is very difficult and you may end up parking on the main road and not getting a space in the property. Second, the tanks are all two stories below the parking level and not a small hike. Compared with Buddy or Bel Mar the layout is inconvenient.

But if you have decided on Capt Don's, those rooms are the best. Unfortunately they are often fully booked.

pg

jimw
06-20-2013, 02:30 PM
Absolutely the best accommodations at the property. Nice water view, relatively quiet. Only about a year old.

The only down side that I find has nothing to do with these rooms but rather with Capt Don's. To get tanks into your rental truck is tough for two reasons. First, parking at Capt Don's is very difficult and you may end up parking on the main road and not getting a space in the property. Second, the tanks are all two stories below the parking level and not a small hike. Compared with Buddy or Bel Mar the layout is inconvenient.

But if you have decided on Capt Don's, those rooms are the best. Unfortunately they are often fully booked.

pg

Tanks are available on the same level as parking. Some tanks are on the boats which are down 1 level and are filled there, others are just outside the dive gear storage and down 1 level and filled there--the level of the dive dock. Down 2 levels would put you on a dive and wouldn't it be NICE to swap tanks while diving!! We were last there in late April this year. Parking was not full or even close that week and never has been in about 15 trips. There are some dive shop spaces reserved for tank trucks and such but it is still a walk on the same level to the tank storage at the dive shop. It is not nearly as convenient as Buddy's drive thru. Habitat is great for us as we usually don't rent a car. We shore dive out front and do a few boat dives to Klein, etc.

rayandpam
06-22-2013, 01:30 PM
Yep, tanks are on parking level just behind the dive shop, think they have a dolly to help with loading. Tanks on the next level down are for house reef shore diving which is on same level as giant leap pier and gear storage locker, rinse tanks, shower, etc.