PDA

View Full Version : Beachcomber Villa

handben
02-06-2013, 10:02 PM
Having spent the 5 previous trips in the Belnem area I was looking for a different part of the island for my 6th trip to Bonaire. This trip was to be a bit different also from previous trips as I was planning to come with my brother and not with my wife and 2 teenage kids. The criteria that I was looking for was something on the water with a decent kitchen (and grill) in a quiet location. I really don't like staying a big resorts.

On a previous trip a year ago I actually met one of the owners at Pasa Bon Pizza who seemed very friendly at the time and was even giving us some advice on dive sites at the time. I later ran into an American couple who were spending 2 weeks at Beachcomber and who raved about the place. I wrote in my dive log to check the place out.

After deciding to head down for a conference in January, I contacted the owners about the week I was interested in. From our first contact, Leanne was very quick to return messages and also very interested in my prior experiences on the island and what I was looking to get out of this trip. I could tell that she cared that I enjoyed my time with them. Everything was made very clear and easy in terms of paying the deposit (paid by credit card) as well as the balance (paid cash upon arrival).

About the apartment, it was/is one of the cleanest places I have ever rented - spotless really. It had 2 comfy queen size beds (good for brothers to share a room or for friends I suppose). I suppose you could have 4 staying in that room but frankly I think it would be a bit tight for a whole week. The kitchen was very nicely appointed with a 6 burner range with stove, micro, coffee maker and most of the kitchen odds and ends that you would need for a week of cooking. There is no dishwasher though but there is a dish rack for drying. There is satellite TV, but I can't speak to the channels or reception as we never turned it on all week (neither of us care much for TV). There is a large walk-in closet with ample space for luggage or handing ones clothes. The safe is also very big and is in the closet. Although I suppose thieves can be pretty industrious, it is hard to see how one would easily get in and out of this apartment with it being on the second floor and the owners nearly always on the first floor. We kept the doors locked though whenever we left. One really nice feature about the doors is that they have louvered windows with bug screens. Most of the time we just left these open and enjoyed the breeze through the place. WHen augmented by the ceiling fan, we were comfy without AC for the most part (did turn on AC a couple of nights).

One of the most spectacular features of the place is the outside deck with a very nice ocean view. The deck is shared with the other apartment, but there is plenty of space to spread out. We only had neighbors for 1 day while there, so I can't comment on how it would be to share the space though it seems like there is plenty of room. There is also a good drying facility for the wetsuits and other gear. After sun/wind drying for a few hours it can be moved into locked storage.

The apartment is about 5 houses down from the Dive Friends Hamlet which is where we rented our tanks. We made a couple of dives from there but none off the back of the property, though this seems to be an easy proposition.

Throughout the stay, we had many very pleasant interactions with the 2 owners - discussing the diving on the island, other places we have traveled, island current events, care of gear and so on. They were very warm and hospitable. Leanne even arranged for me to tour 3 other rental properties for an upcoming trip with a larger group.

To summarize, I'd happily recommend this property for a traveling couple be they experienced Bonaire travelers or complete newbies to the island.

budgillan
05-13-2013, 02:14 PM
Contacts for the property??
Thx.
Bud Gillan
cubozoan@earthlink.net

wwguy
05-13-2013, 02:41 PM
Contact Leanne Pinkerton

Web: http://www.bonairebeachcombervillas.com/
Email: CU@BonaireBeachcomberVillas.com
Phone: +011 (599) 717-8497