PDA

View Full Version : Should I rent a car?

tennille
01-31-2013, 01:07 PM
This is a little last minute, but I'm going to Bonaire the first time on Monday and I didn't rent a car because I figured if I wasn't boat diving I could easily walk into town or would happily stay at the hotel reading. But I think I'd like to at least one day rent a car to see the rest of the island. Do you think it's worthwhile to have one the whole time I'm there?

kob
01-31-2013, 01:52 PM
Unless you are staying near downtown, it could be a long walk. If you only envision a periodic visit to downtown, you could use a cab, but if you want to go to Slagbaai Park, Lac Bay, north or south end, you will definitely need a truck.

Have fun !!

george and judy
01-31-2013, 04:16 PM
We were there for 2 weeks and stayed at Divi. We did not rent a car except for 1 day to Island tour. We walked everywhere and took a cab once. We rented a car from Hertz; it was a relatively new Kia and cost $62 for the day.

tennille
01-31-2013, 05:15 PM
Great! That's what I was hoping I'd be able to do. I'm staying at Don't Habitat. Which seems relatively close to town (I'm from New York, I don't mind a little walking)

kob
01-31-2013, 05:23 PM
tennille -- the Divi is at the south end of downtown, Capt. Don's is well north of the north roundabout. If you plan on walking to downtown & back regularly, at least consider renting a bike or scooter. Those are not short walks.

ModFreddie
01-31-2013, 05:41 PM
think about walking about 20 blocks in the heat with little shade.. a bike or scooter would be a better bet.. although there are three stirp malls within walking distance.. one has Chat and browse in it , across the road by the round about is another with a drug store kind of gift shop store,, and if you go north there is a chinese grocery and a chinese restaurant ... there are more stores in the first two "malls" but they escape me right now..

tennille
01-31-2013, 05:46 PM
How easy is it to rent a bike or scooter? What is the cost of a cab also?

aquapaul
01-31-2013, 09:58 PM
I could not imagine Bonaire without a rental truck but that's how I roll. Capt Dons is to far to walk for sure, there is so much to see and do around the island to not have transportation. We had a geo one year and did fine. Something, just anything to get around....Just Sayin..

tennille
02-01-2013, 01:08 PM
Making a reservation with Hertz. Please let me know if this is a huge mistake!

Thanks for the replies.

rayandpam
02-01-2013, 04:44 PM
We stayed at Capt Dons for 2 weeks last Nov. and didn't rent a vehicle. We plan on doing it again this year also but that was like our 7th time to Bonaire and 1st time we didn't rent a truck. We've circled the island many times. We did 24 boat dives and and maybe 10 shore dives. I could dive the house reef for a week and be happy. Get on any boat trips that go over to Klein, and all the dives on Bonaire that can't be done from shore, Rappell is one of my favorites.
There's the Chinese grocery across the street about 2 blocks north and now there's a bar/restaurant right next to it. I think we ate there the whole last week every evening, cheap and leftovers. We also checked out the happy hours and specials at resorts just south of Capt Dons and the ice cream shop.
You are going to enjoy it there and if not staying for 2 weeks will be wishing you did.

stretch
02-03-2013, 08:40 AM
I think you did the right thing by renting a truck. Captain Don's is toofbar to walk into town., everyday. You will see so much more
of the island if you have a car or truck.

jimw
02-04-2013, 12:21 AM
I guess Habitat still has an AB Car Rental office on site. We have rented for a day several times there--and other trips, not at all........

rayandpam
02-04-2013, 09:12 AM
AB wasn't at Capt Dons last Nov, they were there is Oct 2011 which was nice, pick up your truck at the airport, runaround get everything you need then return it at Capt Dons. Then when you leave, pick it up at Capt Dons the day before, run around the island and return it to the airport the next morning.