PDA

View Full Version : Residency in Bonaire – Have some questions – Grateful for any help

arn
01-26-2013, 02:23 PM
Good Day All,

We will soon be retiring and Bonaire is one of the locations, on a very short list, where we are considering taking up residence on retirement. This forum has been a great source of information, thank you everyone for your generous advice. We have some questions. Any Canadian, pensioners or otherwise, who have taken up residence on Bonaire willing to offer advice?

We have a couple of questions here:

- If you had to move to Bonaire all over again, what would you do differently? (hope to hear “should have done it sooner” and any other sage advice)
- We have dogs; any problems with fleas, tics, or other dog related concerns?
- Is there a chiropractor on the island?
- We had only a short tour on the island, but will return for a longer visit again this Spring with an objective look around the island. Any suggestions on how to tour the island effectively for someone looking to reside on the island as opposed to a tourist trip?

Again, thanks for all the advice and tips provided in the forum. It made for good reading.

Arn

bonairehomes
01-28-2013, 10:09 AM
Arn -

To answer your questions:
- If you had to move to Bonaire all over again, what would you do differently? (hope to hear “should have done it sooner” and any other sage advice)
I mived here to start a business and work, so not sure i can answer this, but I am sure that others will. One thing to remeber is that there is good new/bad news "the good nes is that Bonaire is small, the bad news is, that Bonaire is small. If you like the queit and slower pace of life that Bonaire can offer, then the island is great. Since there is less "stuff" on the island, you learn to get by with less, which is normally a good thing. Sometimes the best way to get started is to come here and stay for two or three months at a time and see if you still like it. The Bonaire you love when you are on vavacation, can be different than the Bonaire you live on.

- We have dogs; any problems with fleas, tics, or other dog related concerns?
You can bring your dogs with, put they need current shots and an RF chip. There are lots of ticks, escpecially in the rainy season and also some fleas. Bring your flea collars anf you end up dipping your dog in anti flea dip once a month at least. THe ticks are nearly impossible to get rid of completely. It s a fact of llife here.

- Is there a chiropractor on the island?
Yes, there are a couple of them at least. THere is a clnic at the Bon Bida gym.

- We had only a short tour on the island, but will return for a longer visit again this Spring with an objective look around the island. Any suggestions on how to tour the island effectively for someone looking to reside on the island as opposed to a tourist trip?
I am a realtor and would be gald to help you with all of the information. Any of the other real estate brokers would be happy to help as well. But as i said at the beginning, one the the things that i reccommend to cleints is to come to Bonaire and stay for two or three month and see if it is what you are looking for. Many people find our little island charming and quirky, while other people cannot adjust to having a slwoer pace of life, and much less "action in their lives.

Feel free to PM me if you have other questions.

kob
01-28-2013, 05:00 PM
As someone who has been coming to Bonaire for 15+ years, has bought a home and plans to retire in 2015 to Bonaire, I wholeheartedly agree with Bob's recommendation. Spend time on the island and get used to things being done on "island time". Get used to quirks, such as power outages, things not going as planned, etc. Wouldn't hurt to read "Don't Stop the Carnival" as well for perspective.

arn
02-10-2013, 03:53 PM
Thank you all for the feed back and PM responses. Heading down in March for a couple of weeks to start. Looking forward to getting out of the four feet of snow!