PDA

View Full Version : American Express

DWJ
01-25-2013, 07:29 PM
Is anyone aware of any car rental agencies left on Bonaire that take American Express (other than Telerin)?
Thanks

Nathalie
01-26-2013, 07:15 PM
Is anyone aware of any car rental agencies left on Bonaire that take American Express (other than Telerin)?
Thanks

Yes, Everts Car Rental accepts American Express. We had excellent service and experience with them for many years. Locally owed by delightful lady. I have no connection with them other than as a satisfied customer.

george and judy
01-28-2013, 12:06 PM
My friend rented from Hertz while on Island and I think he used American Express. You could check with them at either the airport or at Divi.

esculley
01-28-2013, 05:09 PM
love telerin. had great service from them

Calicant
03-08-2013, 10:01 AM
I used AMEX at Hertz last June

DonnaDivingDiva
03-08-2013, 07:08 PM
We use AMEX with budget to reserve and pick up the truck. Then we pay cash
when we turn truck in. Reason we do this is our AMEX card gives us truck insurance
for $25 flat fee, not $25 per day. But the $25 is charged when Budget puts through
the final charge. We are not charged the $25 insurance fee to reserve or pick-up
the truck. At the end, we pay cash for 2 reasons, both to save money: We avoid
having AMEX tack on extra fee (is it 2.5% now?) for a foreign transaction fee. AND
budget does not put through a final charge to AMEX for the rental, therefore we do
not get charged $25 extra for the AMEX insurance. Obviously, if we uh-oh needed
the insurance, we would put the whole charge on AMEX, paying $25 for the insurance
coverage and whatever the % is for the foreign transaction fee. Sorry I have spaced
on the deductible, etc offered by AMEX on this type of rental car insurance.
If you have an AMEX card, call them to find out if you can add rental car insurance
option to your card. Some cards have this, others do not. Have them explain how
it works. We've done this multiple years, happily with no accidents - - yet.

wwguy
03-09-2013, 12:40 PM
We use AMEX with budget to reserve and pick up the truck. Then we pay cash
when we turn truck in. Reason we do this is our AMEX card gives us truck insurance
for $25 flat fee, not $25 per day. But the $25 is charged when Budget puts through
the final charge. We are not charged the $25 insurance fee to reserve or pick-up
the truck. At the end, we pay cash for 2 reasons, both to save money: We avoid
having AMEX tack on extra fee (is it 2.5% now?) for a foreign transaction fee. AND
budget does not put through a final charge to AMEX for the rental, therefore we do
not get charged $25 extra for the AMEX insurance. Obviously, if we uh-oh needed
the insurance, we would put the whole charge on AMEX, paying $25 for the insurance
coverage and whatever the % is for the foreign transaction fee. Sorry I have spaced
on the deductible, etc offered by AMEX on this type of rental car insurance.
If you have an AMEX card, call them to find out if you can add rental car insurance
option to your card. Some cards have this, others do not. Have them explain how
it works. We've done this multiple years, happily with no accidents - - yet.

Wow. Just wow. Do you intend to purchase DAN insurance only after you take a DCS hit? Or purchase homeowner insurance after your house burns down? Or purchase a life insurance policy for a loved one after they die? Of course you don't. Because that would be illegal, unethical, and insurance doesn't work like that.

Insurance is the equitable transfer of the risk of a loss, from one entity to another in exchange for payment. The transaction involves the insured assuming a guaranteed and known relatively small loss in the form of payment to the insurer in exchange for the insurer's promise to compensate the insured in the case of a financial loss. Thus, according to their website, the Amex insurance coverage is "activated each time you use the Card to pay for a Rental Car from a Rental Company..."

If you don't pay for insurance coverage you aren't insured. Insurance isn't just a convenient $25 payment for reimbursement of up to $100,000 in claims.

Purchasing car rental insurance coverage after a claim occurs or assuming coverage that you don't intend to pay for is dishonest. It's probably also illegal.

parachute
03-11-2013, 12:39 AM
Insurance is the equitable transfer of the risk of a loss, from one entity to another in exchange for payment.

Do you work in the insurance industry? An insurance company is a business which generates its profit from the inequitable transfer of the risk of a loss, from one entity to another in exchange for payment. Their actuaries are paid to calculate these risks and premiums which generate profit from its pool of policyholders.

wwguy
03-11-2013, 12:00 PM
Do you work in the insurance industry? An insurance company is a business which generates its profit from the inequitable transfer of the risk of a loss, from one entity to another in exchange for payment. Their actuaries are paid to calculate these risks and premiums which generate profit from its pool of policyholders.

I don't work in the insurance industry, and didn't claim I did. Hoping to avoid pedantic discussion like this, I used terminology from this Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insurance) discussing insurance.

I'm just a paying policyholder of auto, life, homeowner, umbrella, travel, DAN, health, dental, AD&D, short term disability, and long term disability insurance policies. I also purchase the American Express Premium Rental Insurance policy discussed above when renting a vehicle on vacation. Being the insured, rather than the insurer, doesn't disqualify my previous comments... nor does your post above.