PDA

View Full Version : 40 minute Delta connection in Atlanta --- any experiences?

acejosie
12-26-2012, 09:04 PM
I'm looking at a FF Delta trip from Rochester, NY to BON, that has a 40 minute connection in Atlanta (in February!) --- this sounds REALLY iffy, and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this short a connection in Atlanta. As there's only one flight a week, a real problem if the connection is missed....

Of course, so much depends on whether we actually depart on time from ROC...

ModCecil
12-26-2012, 10:41 PM
I have not tried that nor would I, we have always flown to Atlanta the night before, just so much easier and much less stress.

gbf
12-26-2012, 11:23 PM
Going to Bon I wouldn't even think about it.

I've flown the Rochester-ATL flight many times. If it comes in on the southernmost runway, and it often does, you're toast. If it rains a little bit you're toast. If they don't get the jetway down immediately (and sometimes they have Stevie Wonder driving them) you're toast. Any little blip and you're toast.

Do as ModCecil suggests.

On the other hand, I have done the 40 min connection during the summer on business trips and made it ok.

But not going to Bon

Kimfair
12-26-2012, 11:52 PM
The first time we went to Bonaire we did a similar thing from Boston. We made it by the skin of our teeth, and we were completely stressed out by the "Amazing Race" style running from Gate A1 to Gate E1. The past 2 trips we've gone to Atlanta the night before, got a room, and flew out in the morning stress free. Totally worth the extra cash.

acejosie
12-26-2012, 11:57 PM
That makes a lot of sense .... but I don't think it would allow me to use my FF miles...

gbf
12-27-2012, 12:33 AM
I've done it a bunch of times using FF miles, no problem. You have to pick up your baggage Friday Night and re-check on Saturday. Somebody posted that there was a luggage storage place somewhere in the airport, but I've never used it.

Well worth asking...

nitrogenfixx
12-27-2012, 09:49 AM
You will land at the domestic terminal and then must shuttle to the new international terminal. 40 min. is not reasonable.

acejosie
12-27-2012, 02:57 PM
Thanks, Brad --- would I have to book directly with Delta SkyMiles people, rather than on-line?

gbf
12-27-2012, 03:04 PM
I've always booked directly on-line - no muss, no fuss. I'm a sooper-dooper skymiler so that may have made a difference, but I'd give it a try were I you.

If you call the skymiles desk I think they will charge you some piddling fee for doing it for you.

esculley
12-27-2012, 05:20 PM
i wold do the overnight stay in atlanta. that way no stress and u know u will make the flight

brebeans
01-01-2013, 05:07 PM
We've done this flight from Boston several times. We've not found it to be a problem. Good luck!
one year, we didn't have the option and had to stay overnight ( the time during connections was 30 minutes) and I found it to be a real pain...a whole extra day getting to Atlanta, finding and paying for a hotel, getting luggage, packing to get access to our overnight stuff only, bringing luggage back to the airport, going through security again......I hated not having a same day option.ill be taking my chances this year.

nitrogenfixx
01-01-2013, 06:29 PM
Have you taken the flight from Boston, to Bonaire, with only 40 min. in between connections, SINCE they have the new international terminal? If so, how much time did it take you from landing at the domestic terminal to boarding at the new international terminal?
Thank you.

gbf
01-01-2013, 09:51 PM
I do the 40 minute turn all the time - but not when I'm going to Bonaire. In fact, I had a 50 minute connection today and made it with ease - arrived on C and departed on B.

If I miss my flight during the week going, say, to New York, all I do is wait a couple of hours and go on the next flight - not so easy getting to Bon.

I'm not willing to take the chance.

Besides, an evening pub-crawl at 5 points is not an altogether bad thing...

stretch
01-02-2013, 08:34 PM
We just did a 55 minute turn around on Sat. We flew in on
Delta from Bloomington, Illinois and made it to the intermational
terminal fine. They were boarding when we got there but we
still had to wait probably 45 to 1 hour before leaving. It is
a tight schedule but it seems like you always are late leaving.
All of our luggage made it fine .

gbf
01-02-2013, 11:42 PM
...They were boarding when we got there but we
still had to wait probably 45 to 1 hour before leaving. It is
a tight schedule but it seems like you always are late leaving.
All of our luggage made it fine .

And therein lies the problem with ATL. Your 45-60 minute wait could have just as easily been spent taxiing from the southernmost runway or sitting on the apron waiting for a gate as sitting in your departing flight. And if it had you'd have been scrambling for a way to get to Bon this week, let alone this day (maybe the alternatives are better now, I haven't checked in a while).

Like I said, I do close connections frequently. Most times it works out. Sometimes it doesn't. I'm like that Lil' Abner character that walks around under a black cloud so I don't tempt fate by scheduling the close turn going to Bon.

george and judy
01-07-2013, 08:43 PM
When I still was working I often flew to Rochester on business. On more than one occasion I was delayed due to inclement weather and/or snow. I would not take a chance on getting to ATL on time let alone making the 40 minute transfer to the International terminal. We live about 2 hours from ATL and always go on Friday, stay at the Drury, and arrive in Bonaire fully rested for our 2 week vacation.