PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing Bonaire property

Daveh
12-16-2012, 12:36 AM
I am considering purchasing a Condo in Bonaire, as a place to stay when we are there, and also as an investment. I'm not sure where to start. Is it better to go through a local realtor or are there realtors in the states that deal with this sort of thing?

Gmichael
12-16-2012, 12:29 PM
Suggest you take a look at the newly updated http://www.geographia.com/bonaire/bonrealestate01.htm...we have realtors practically behind every tree. One of the most relaible is Sunbelt http://www.sunbeltbonaire.com/ is by far the best. Will be happy to help you in case you need further advice. I DO NOT work for any agency or accept commisons, finders fees, etc. So feel free to get in touch. Michael

ruth
12-16-2012, 01:31 PM
You can also buy a restaurant here and live the dream, island paradise full-time! Jus' sayin'...

Gmichael
12-16-2012, 01:51 PM
Ruth since I just finished by 5 hotwings (sunday lunch) with biscuit and small mashed, I will let your suggestion slide. ALL the restaraunts here are for sale..well maybe not KFC. Why would you think living the dream is owning an eatery here on Bonaire? We all know that he should buy a retail business and live the dream! (Dreams come in technicolor, black and white and oh yes.nightmares). If you do intend on spending any amount of time here, I suggest reading the Bonare Bible, Don't Stop the Carnival by Herman Wouk!

Bill Murphy
12-16-2012, 03:15 PM
Dave

We bought 18 months ago with very little regrer other than i need a few weeks additionsl
vacayion.Please feel free to send a pm to discuss.

Bill Murphy
owner- Bellafonte Bonaire 102

bcwolfen
12-16-2012, 06:52 PM
We have been extremely pleased with all the support we have gotten from Bob Bartikoski at Remax Bonaire. We had found many references to him here on BT and are happy we chose him for our real estate needs. Not only did he provide information on the properties we were interested in, but also gave other recommendations and advice against certain lots we were looking at due to their location or zoning. He is definately worth contacting.

kob
12-17-2012, 09:10 AM
Big second to Bob Bartikowski at REMAX. The process was straightforward and painless. Lots of good advice before, during & after purchase.

bonairehomes
12-17-2012, 11:55 AM
Dave - I would be happy to help you. I am orginally from Minnesota, but have lived on Bonaire full-time for over 10 years. I am the owner of RE/MAX Paradise Homes, and the only American Real Estate Broker on the island. If you have more questions feel free to give me a call toll free from the US at 1-866-611-7362, or via e-mail at bob@bonairehomes.com.

Gmichael
12-17-2012, 12:35 PM
I am sorry I omitted Bob Barakowski from Remax. He understands the American Market and also is pretty savvy with dealing with all the paperwork etc. He and Sunbelt are longtime agents and that alone is another reason to contact them

Gmichael
12-17-2012, 12:48 PM
I am sorry I omitted Bob Barakowski from Remax. He understands the American Market and also is pretty savvy with dealing with all the paperwork etc. He and Sunbelt are longtime agents and that alone is another reason to contact them.

J Brown
12-19-2012, 11:15 AM
Be careful. We bought a condo 3 years ago. Dont get me wrong. We love it. Apparently the government loves it too...so much so that it was valued this year 2.5 times what it was valued at when we bought it. The "new" government is reassessing or has reassessed most properties.

I wouldnt buy anything until everything is sorted out and you really know what you are getting into. Our Management is now is the middle of appealing this joke of a reassessment.

....since the government thinks its worth 2.5 times what I paid, maybe they will give me 2.5 times what I paid?

bcwolfen
12-20-2012, 03:47 AM
There have been a number of similar cases. In some the existing appraisals were apparently well below market value, in others the new appraisals are just way too high. There is a form, I think in this weeks Bonaire Reporter, that you can fill out to appeal your current appraisal and have it re-assessed.

kob
12-20-2012, 07:35 AM
If you do plan to appeal, do it quickly. I am pretty sure that the form we got with our new tax appraisal value said you have to appeal with 90 days or something like that.

susan
12-20-2012, 08:32 AM
It's 60 days from the notice of the tax bill, whichever tax you are subject to. If you are subject to Grondbelasting, and you object to the value of the appraisal, you have to object to Public Body Bonaire (because Grondblasting is an island tax); if you are subject to Vastgoedblasting, and you object to the appraisal, you have to object to Belastingdienst, because this is a federal tax. Belastingdienst put out a release just the other day saying that the remaining valuations would be mailed shortly for those who had not yet received them.

kob
12-20-2012, 09:45 AM
Susan -- you're right and if you live in the US you have to move quick. Took almost 60 days for our letter from Belastingdienst office to get to us.

bonairehomes
12-20-2012, 01:36 PM
The first batch of letters was dated 10/31/2012 a contained the new property valuations as applied to the vastgood belasting tax (VGB). Since you have only 60 days to appreal, the appeals for these letters are due before December 31, 2012. The VGB tax applies primarily to commercial properties and second homes. The second batch of letters for VGB are due to be sent out between now and the end of the year.

Some of the letters for VGB were mailied to people who are residents, and if that is case, you also need to notify the belasting dienst that you are a resident in order to have them reclassify your property to be resident occupied so you qualify for the lower tax rate of GB.

Homes or condos that are owner occupied by people who are legal residents of Bonaire are exempt from VGB, but are subject instead to grond belasting (GB). The first batch of bills for the GB were recently mailed out and they are dated 12/31/2012. If you get a bill for GB, it is also possible to protest the assigned vlaue if you think it is too high. You have the same time of 60 days (from the date of the letter) in order to protest the valuation for GB.

If you have questions about your protest, or would like to have help making up the protest you can contact me or any of the other real estate brokers on Bonaire.