PDA

View Full Version : Solo traveller, first time to Bonaire - Where should I stay?

tennille
12-05-2012, 04:13 PM
Since my main focus will be diving, it seems like Buddy Dive is a great option. I would like to make things as simple as possible for myself as far as getting out to dive. I also want to be close to town, if I need extra entertainment. And I'd prefer to have a room close to and ideally over looking the ocean. Do you have suggestions that I can look into?

Thanks!

Stewart K
12-05-2012, 04:24 PM
I would look inti Divi Flamingo Beach, close to town, 5 minute walk, good shore diving, great boats, right on the water. Restaurants on the property and adjacent to the property. Can't go wrong.Check it out.

tennille
12-06-2012, 02:15 PM
Thanks! That actually looks really nice. What is the crowd that stays there like? Buddy Dive seemed like a slightly older crowd, not that I'm opposed to that, but I'm curious if maybe there's a younger set that stays at Divi Flamingo Beach?

JimMc
12-15-2012, 08:57 PM
Captain Don's, Divi, Buddy, all good. Diving is your main focus, and you have it at all three. Have fun.

Dive Biddie
12-16-2012, 10:04 PM
I would think of all the places, Buddy's would have the youngest crowd, though you can't walk to town easily. Face it, alot of visitors to Bonaire are older !

ModCecil
12-16-2012, 10:25 PM
They're also divers which makes them pretty much worthless after 8:00 PM, don't want to hurt their bottom time.

ChipCoy
12-18-2012, 05:00 PM
Carib Inn is usually booked up but if they have an opening it's a great place to stay. No restaurant onsite but next door to the Divi and close to town. Great dive operation. Very good rooms.

tennille
12-19-2012, 12:06 PM
Thanks all - I'm not looking to party all night, so I'm not worried about an 8pm bedtime. I just don't want to ruin anyone's party by being the kid who shows up ;) I'm torn between Buddy and Divi Flamingo - but having a room with an ocean view is kind of winning me over, so I'll probably end up and the Divi Flamingo.

ruth
12-19-2012, 06:26 PM
At least with Divi, you can walk along the seaside road to town, pass quite a few bar/restaurants, & see how the vibe is, etc., from Divi itself, then At Sea, Four Seasons, La Luna, Capriccio's, City Cafe, Karel's Beach Bar/ZeeZicht, Paradise Moon (they have the largest gathering of resident Americans hanging there), La Guernica, Little Havana (Havana gets going around 11pm), then loop back. If nothing else, on the way back, go along the main street for a bit, get a gelatto at Gio's, check out Mona Lisa, Appetite, El Mundo Plazita Limenia, Casablanca, then back to the seaside & return "home"--all within 15 minutes walking time each way + stoppage time. :cheers:

sidemount
12-24-2012, 01:15 PM
Hijack not intended. I solo trip to Bonaire at times also. Normally I stay off resort but am considering resorts now for logistical reasons. It has come to my attention that Habitat Bungalows, Deluxe Ocean Views and Deluxe Junior Suites at CPT Don's has single occupancy rates. I'd love to hear input from anyone who has expirience with one or more of these room categories at CPT Don's. This info may also be beneficial to the OP. Thanks in advance.

rayandpam
12-24-2012, 09:17 PM
Our last 2 trips have been at Capt Dons Deluxe Ocean Veiws. Can't help on single sups but the area isn't too bad. We've gotten lazy and mainly boat dive so haven't had a truck on our last trip. We can walk south to Sand Dollar, Buddy Dive or Den Lanam for happy hours or of course Capt Dons. About 2 blocks north is Knong Kong?, which has a reasonable grocery store and a bar/restaurant next door. We ate at the bar/rest every nite on our 2nd week last Nov. and had leftovers for breakfast. If you're not doing shore diving, don't have a truck, either rent a truck which is pretty expensive with full insurance included or use taxis which is probably a better option. In town, around Karels Bar is a little better than hanging at the resort and those close by but not much. Depending on what you're looking for, I've heard (don't know personally) but there is a "gentlemens club" somewhere around town. We in our 50s so like heading to the room about 8 or 9 pm having our nite caps in the room and being ready to catch the 8:30 boat in the morning, the house reef is also awesome in the area. Whereever you end up you can't go wrong, you're on Bonaire and diving. We've stayed at Hamlet Oasis twice, Carib Inn, Yacht Club, Bonaire Seaside Apartments and Captain Dons, would return to any of them. Not all are on the water but that doesn't seem important because you'll spend plenty of time looking at the water while diving. We do try to find a happy hour with a good breeze though.

sidemount
12-29-2012, 12:48 PM
So what are the beds like in CPT Don's Deluxe Ocean Views? Seems like no matter where I stay on Bonaire, the beds are like sleeping a slab of concrete. After almost 40 years in the military and sleeping on the ground, in vehicles etc. I'm getting picky in my old age. Thanks in advance.

rayandpam
12-29-2012, 11:50 PM
Don't remember about the beds so they must have been ok, if there was a problem with them I would have remembered. I have some bad discs in my neck, pinched nerves, so I sleep better proped up and there were plenty of pillow to do this. I didn't have any problems until the end of our second week whereas almost nightly at home I have to get up early and get in my lazy boy with the heating pad.