PDA

View Full Version : Car renters beware...

ModFreddie
11-27-2012, 07:18 AM
this might just change your mind about getting the extra insurance when you rent your vehicle..

this was posted on FB..

VEHICLE THEFT ON THE UP......
Police reported over the weekend that three vehicles have been taken from their premises.
Houses from Kaya Amsterdam to Sabedeco were targeted & pick-up trucks from those areas were targeted. One vehicle was found burnt out in Noord di Salina.
The theft of vehicles was a fairly rare occurrence until recently. Sometimes in the past, fuel was stolen, maybe a tyre or a battery went missing but the car as a whole usually remained.
Gone are the days when you could leave your keys in the car while getting some groceries, now, a locked & alarmed vehicle on a persons private property is fair game.
A note to all visitors, please check that you have full insurance cover for theft of or from the vehicle & that you can cover your excess waiver.
Some hirer's on Bonaire have as much as a $500 excess. There are companies that sell excess waiver insurance that for a relatively small amount, will cover your excess worldwide, either for one trip or for the whole year.
Attached is a link for one such company.

smits
11-27-2012, 10:30 AM
very interesting, the insurance link.

trish
11-27-2012, 02:27 PM
I stated many years ago when discussing "petty theft" on Bonaire that it was just a matter of time before it got worse. Looks like the times a comin! This is what happens when thieves get slapped on the wrist for committing crimes and "petty crime" is not taken seriously. Time to wake up & start making examples out of some of these criminals before it gets further out of control.....and it will.

Ridiculous that tourists should have to pay extra for rental car insurance because the island is being taken over by thieves. How about doing something about the crime....now there's a concept!

wwguy
11-27-2012, 07:35 PM
The solution isn't that simple. All that arresting, and prosecuting, jailing, and general example-making requires a lot of policemen, attorneys, judges, jailers, cooks, doctors, and other assorted professionals... not to mention vehicles, buildings, and a steady stream of food, medicine, and other supplies. All that stuff is expensive, requires special skills, and is currently unfunded.

So I'm curious... What would you do to reduce crime if you were in a position of authority and/or influence on the island? And just as importantly, how would you fund the incremental costs? Higher taxes for local residents? Impose new taxes on the tourism industry?

Bonaire's current prison was finished in 2010, which is only 2 years ago, and it already exceeds capacity. As soon it was completed the Public Prosecutor began imposing prison sentences for the backlog of verdicts handed down from 2008 to 2011. And since the 10/10 referendum, Bonaire's prison also holds criminals from the other two BES islands, St. Eustatius and Saba.

Perhaps more prisons are the answer? Ground was broken this summer for another new prison on Bonaire. It's expected to be completed sometime in 2015 and will have almost 100 new cells. And another new prison is in the works for St. Eustatius, which is expected to house an additional 30 prisoners. In the meantime the previous cycle is already repeating itself. Selected inmates are currently being released early due to overcrowding and it's likely the new prisons may quickly fill with inmates already sentenced for crimes that occur during the interim.

It appears to me that the prison is already full of "examples" and the line continues to form at the door.

kob
11-28-2012, 08:33 AM
My personal belief is that the "crime problem" could best be solved via an economic solution. I don't think that there are many, if any, local Bonaireans who grow up dreaming about being a thief. I suspect that like the rest of us, they do grow up having aspirations of making a living doing something productive, but many don't readily have a path to do so. Without jobs, this is a bit of a challenge. I would guess that 500 or so decent paying jobs would go a long way to solving the crime problem. Wouldn't it be nice if some of us could put our heads together to find a way to bring some new types of jobs to Bonaire ... a call center, off-shore programming, specialty products for retail gift store chains, etc.

Many here know that we own a home on Bonaire and plan to live there permanently in a couple years when I retire. One of my personal goals is to try to find a way to create some jobs on the island.

bcwolfen
11-28-2012, 10:17 AM
Kobi, I love your ideas. With our upcoming move to Bonaire we will be creating several temporary jobs in construction and then a few permanant ones in housekeeing, but that is far from what is needed. I think I read a while back on one of Michael Gaynors FB posts that Jeff M. had a similar idea of some form of off-shore programming. Although this would require locals having a post secondary education in programming. A call center would also be a great option, onsite training can be easily provided so no real technical knowledge would be required when hiring local staff. Would Bonaire's telecomm infrastructure (and power grid) be able to support a call center....thats another question.

Specialty products for gift stores is another unique idea. We have a welder here in the PNW that has switched from doing commercial welding to art. He makes metal trees, animals and other items and now ships them to gift shops all across Canada. He's doing better at this than he ever did when he was doing commerical work. Bonaire definately opportunities in producing specialty gift items.

Kelly
11-28-2012, 03:13 PM
I just have to add my two cents, that if you are already into the drug culture, you are making about 20 times the money you'd make at a "regular job". That is part of the beauty of it, cash in hand, no taxes. Risk? Absolutely. But lots of money to be made if you're willing to be a seller and not a user.

I don't like it, or agree with it, but I'm afraid sometimes it's just the truth.

kob
11-28-2012, 03:59 PM
Can't disagree, Kelly. You are right ... people making big bucks selling drugs aren't interested in "day jobs". But it's not the drug sellers making lots of money that are committing the petty crimes ... it's the drug users or those without jobs who are resorting to thievery to support themselves and/or their drug habits. Breaking the cycle for these folks by giving them productive options would be the idea.

Kelly
11-28-2012, 04:42 PM
Kob, you are right on! It's just a sad commentary when it's easier to steal than work. I hate that.

Cornhusker
12-23-2012, 12:43 PM
Tried and could not get the site to work Freddie....would you click on link and see if you having same problems as I might look at booking this insurance if quality coverage and reasonable cost. I have normally just paid the insurance fee and figured cost of a vacation as nothing worse than trying to agree upon a loss when one is out of the country.

Cornhusker

ModFreddie
12-23-2012, 05:21 PM
Probably your best bet is to ask your insurance company if they have a similar rider for international rentals...... just a thought,,,,,,