PDA

View Full Version : departing from Bonaire - what's the minimum time you need to be at the airport?

lorimich
08-20-2012, 09:44 PM
Hi everyone,

I found a decent price on airfare but the departing flight leaves at 6am! Ouch! what would you say is the latest you could arrive at the airport to depart form Bonaire?
Thanks,
Lori

kob
08-21-2012, 07:21 AM
Normally they tell you to be there 2 hours ahead of time, but for the 6:00a flight you could probably get there at 4:30a, particularly if it's one of the smaller airlines (Divi, DAE, Insel). The lines for the big jets (KLM, Delta, United, American) can get long and slow.

AlbertA
08-21-2012, 09:17 AM
No way. That time of the morning, 1 hour before departure is still being early. That is, for a flight to Curacao or Aruba.

smits
08-21-2012, 10:08 AM
If its to the US, at least 2 hours in advance. To Curacao about an hour.
Personally I would not like to have the stress of missing my plane for an extra half hour sleep.

susan
08-21-2012, 11:32 AM
One thing that everyone should remember............even if you are "only" flying to Curacao or Aruba, if you are leaving at the same time as any big jets full of people (Delta, United, KLM, etc) then the security line can be very long and take some time, as everyone for all flights departing at a similar time have to wend their way through security. This can make you late for or miss entirely your flight to Curacao or Aruba. Plan for enough time. The airlines can and do keep you from boarding if you are not at the gate with enough time.

kob
08-21-2012, 12:56 PM
Susan & smits are right. A few years ago, I made a mistake reading my ticket and arrived at the airport "late" (only 1 hour before flight time). There were just a few folks who came in line behind me after that. We were the last people allowed to check in and board the plane because it was oversold. Personally, I would be there no later than 4:30a even if for just a flight to AUA or CUR.

As smits said, why chance it for 1/2 hour of extra sleep.

lorimich
08-22-2012, 08:43 AM
Guess it's a fare exchange - get there at the crack of dawn, leave at the same time. Do you think that $642 is a good price for march travel or does it drop in the fall (like it does for Aruba)? Am I playing airfare roullet? :)

lorimich
08-22-2012, 08:45 AM
Normally they tell you to be there 2 hours ahead of time, but for the 6:00a flight you could probably get there at 4:30a, particularly if it's one of the smaller airlines (Divi, DAE, Insel). The lines for the big jets (KLM, Delta, United, American) can get long and slow.
No, it would be with United,
Thanks everyone for your replies! Much appreciated!

J Brown
08-22-2012, 03:06 PM
Well...Im probably the only one that does this but we do this every year. We fly the red-eye Continental and leave on the early flight out of Bonaire. We get to the airport 45 minutes before the flight out of Bonaire. We check in on the Continental website the day before and reserve our seats home. I really feel that they only make everyone show up two hours early so the the two people working the counter have two hours to check in all 200 passengers rather than have everyone show up at once. In the past we arrived at the airport two hours in the past just to be at the end of the line anyway. By the time we checked in, it was 30 minutes before the flight was due to depart.

But I think Ive just been lucky up till now. :)

kob
08-22-2012, 03:54 PM
You still have to stand in the United line to check your bags ... unless you're travelling really, really light !! ;)

randl
08-23-2012, 06:56 AM
You're right, J Brown, we have also arrived a bit less than two hours ahead and waited near the end of the line for more than an hour. Thing is, sometimes the line moves rather quickly, sometimes it hardly moves. We talked about showing up about 45 - 60 minutes in advance but thought it would be a bit stressful. Suppose you wake up and your rental car's tire is flat (it happened to my son once...he was lucky he had us to drive him and his family to the airport that morning). Suppose two of the check in agents are out that day. Those are the thoughts that get us up at 4:00 a.m. on departure day. 4:00 a.m. vs. 5:30 a.m....after many gentle mornings in paradise, it doesn't seem to matter that much.

lorimich
08-23-2012, 09:42 AM
Thanks to everyone for your input. It's done, I booked the tickets and I'll be red-eyeing it in and IMO red eyeing it out too. My last reservation to sort out is a truck rental, then all we'll have to do is wait for march to arrive!!
thanks again!
Lori