PDA

View Full Version : Shortcut from karpata

klikesfins
08-05-2012, 07:48 AM
Greetings from happy place, Bonaire! Does anyone know if the shortcut from karpata to town is drivable?
Arrived yesterday to clouds but no other effects from the tropical storm. Wind reversal was supposed to make diving the lighthouse possible, but if it happened we missed it by late afternoon.

It as tough finding lunch yesterday, everyone was closed...bistro de Paris is closed until tues, cappricios was closed and city cafe was closed. Read in the paper that city cafe was having trouble with their lease, but they were open last night. We finally remembered El Mundo and had a wonderful lunch there.

Off to find our first dive spot of the day!

randl
08-05-2012, 08:16 AM
Had conversation with two who had tried it recently. Both said it takes as long as the long way around. After hearing that twice, didn't try it.

DeputyDan
08-05-2012, 11:30 AM
Was on the island for the last couple of weeks. Took the short cut once.
Not again - simply not worth it.

CaptNick
08-07-2012, 10:00 AM
Was on the island for the last couple of weeks. Took the short cut once.
Not again - simply not worth it.

I agree. Been there, done it and survived it! They should sell T-shirts saying 'Me and my truck survived the short (!!) cut!"...... Never again....

Dee
08-08-2012, 04:37 PM
Captn Nick you are too funny!! Years ago we used to go "red rock road" but it wasnt so washed out back then, now we are a wee bit older, a wee bit more layed back and enjoy going through Rincon. I especially love to go to Karpata first thing in the morning, arrive in Rincon and go to the Super Mini Market on the right just past the gas station and get a fresh baked Pestechi! The Rincon Ladies make the best on the Island! Great for an after dive energy booster.

CaptNick
08-09-2012, 07:49 AM
The Rincon Ladies make the best on the Island!

Thank you for the tip. Having just booked the November trip, this is a welcome addition to the 'Must-Do-When-In-Bonaire' list.

Cheers