PDA

View Full Version : Insel Airlines

george and judy
08-02-2012, 06:18 PM
We are looking at flights for January 2013. Our usual Delta from Atlanta is $882 per person. We can get a flight on Insel from Charlotte for $440 per person. The Delta flight is non stop while the Insel has a stop in Curacao with a 1 hour layover. The price is so low in comparison that I have concerns. Can anyone comment on this flight? Is the connection time adequate? Thanks for any info you can give us.

gman
08-03-2012, 11:35 AM
I have only done this flight once, and it was a while back.....so they may have improved (but I'm not getting that feeling based on reading other posts). The price is very appealing, but after doing it once, I doubt I will ever fly them again. Every departure was late - but we made the connections - again...because the connections were late departing! The return from CUR to CLT was delayed over 2 hours due to malfunctioning instruments in the cockpit (on the very old MD-82). When we arrived in CLT, most of the passengers had missed their connections. If you drive to CLT, this won't be an issue though. However, after experiencing that 2 plus hour delay and the flight almost being canceled, I decided it was not worth the risk to fly them. After their downgrade by the FAA, USAirways dropped their inter-line agreement, so this means Insel has no agreement with any US based airline to re-route you on a different airline in the event of a flight cancellation, etc.

CindyJay
08-04-2012, 11:07 AM
We are sitting in the airport at Bonaire right now. Waiting for our nonstop flight to Miami on insel. Which is never going to happen. Now we are going to go to curacao and then a miracle will occur and there will me a flight to Miami. So right now I really really really do not like insel!!!!

george and judy
08-04-2012, 11:55 AM
Thank you for your insight. We are going to stick with Delta.

DeputyDan
08-05-2012, 02:40 PM
Insel does not have a positive track record.
I would choose to go else where rather than fly with them.

Bridge
08-05-2012, 04:18 PM
The airport of Curacao is down graded by the FAA not the airline Insel Air !

But yes, there are often delays ... thanks to Venezuela mostly ! The one venezualean airline flying to Europe was about 3 months ago put on the black list for lack of security by the Europeans, there were quite a number of incidents. Since than all European airlines flying to Venezuela have problems. They are delayed sometimes for hours - no reason, just to ennoy them. The island airlines have the same experience and there is one other nice idea from the Ven , no luggage registration no numbers just nothing. Insel Air is used a lot by Ven going to the USA. So when arriving in Curacao all luggage of the people from Valencia or Caracas or both have to be registered ... so the owners of each piece has to be found .... and that certainly takes time, even with more and more experience the ground staff at Curacao has now. Which of course means more often than not that the flight to Miami or the flight to Charlotte is delayed ....

tcobb
08-05-2012, 07:16 PM
If you anticipate a delay and can live with it then I would take the cheaper flight. If you are on a time-line or have a short temper for poorly run operations, then stick with Delta. Avoid Insel at all costs.

We had the Insel run-around last November and it end up costing us more than a full fare flight would have. Had delayed take-off resulting in missed connection, unexpected overnight stay in Miami and had to purchase additional tickets on US airline just to get home.