PDA

View Full Version : Does immigration require round trip ticket?

pkm
08-01-2012, 04:59 PM
hi all, great forum...

i will be coming to bonaire for three months in the fall, with the intention of looking into residency and staying if its a good fit.

given the 90 day rule for non-residents, will immigration have any issues with me showing up without a return airfare? not sure what my next destination would be if bonaire doesn't work out, so i'm really hoping to just buy a one-way ticket :)

thanks for any advice....

smits
08-01-2012, 07:40 PM
dont know about the formalities, but immigration never asked for my ticket.

kob
08-01-2012, 07:43 PM
You might want to review the "Moving to Bonaire" thread ... I don't think showing up and then deciding you'll stay "if it's a good fit" is an option. I'm just sayin '. You may be able to extend your stay up to 180 days, but there are significant hurdles to residency (unless you are Antillean or Dutch). Good luck.

pkm
08-01-2012, 11:03 PM
You might want to review the "Moving to Bonaire" thread ... I don't think showing up and then deciding you'll stay "if it's a good fit" is an option. I'm just sayin '. You may be able to extend your stay up to 180 days, but there are significant hurdles to residency (unless you are Antillean or Dutch). Good luck.

yeah, i hear you, i'm still looking into all that and am fine if it takes a few trips to figure it out.

have you ever had immigration ask to see a return airfare to get in to bonaire?

susan
08-02-2012, 08:48 AM
Actually, it's up to the airlines to screen documents and if you don't have a return or onward ticket, I doubt you will ever be allowed on the plane leaving your originating city.........the airlines are very picky about these things now, since they have to pay for your return should you be refused at Immigration. Therefore, they will ensure that you meet all entry requirements before you are allowed to board your flight to Bonaire.

ModRA
08-02-2012, 10:12 AM
My experience is that it is not enforced. The past 2 years we flew down on one airline with a one way ticket and home on another airline one way ticket and have never been asked to show return ticket. But maybe ive just been lucky?

susan
08-02-2012, 10:16 AM
You've been lucky! I know of several incidents when people were not allowed to board in the U.S. because their papers were not in order. And guess what--you don't get a refund on your ticket either. The ones I know about (friends of mine) had to purchase all new tickets. Maybe they don't check all the time, or maybe some airlines are more careful than others, but does one really want to take that chance?

RosAnne
08-02-2012, 08:41 PM
You're absolutely right Susan, I would not want to take a risk, I guess I have been lucky!

pkm
08-14-2012, 02:32 PM
thanks to all for the advice.

my girlfriend called insel air, they directed her to bonaire immigration at the airport. the immigration contact at the airport said they do look for an onward ticket, but for someone in our situation an onward ticket to curacao is enough to satisfy these requirements, i guess cuz curacao is now 'separate' from bonaire.

good to know....

randl
08-14-2012, 05:24 PM
pkm,

Did I miss that you have an onward ticket to Curacao or would you want to purchase one upon arrival to satisfy Bonaire immigration?

pkm
08-15-2012, 12:56 PM
pkm,

Did I miss that you have an onward ticket to Curacao or would you want to purchase one upon arrival to satisfy Bonaire immigration?

we are planning on arriving with onward ticket in hand. this should satisfy not only bonaire immigration, but also any airline requirements from our departing city....