PDA

View Full Version : Car rental question - truck or SUV

newtobonaire
06-19-2012, 12:30 PM
Looks like most people rent trucks. Since we won't have dive equipment (we're snorkelers), would an SUV be a better choice?

A few questions/concerns -

1 - Would an SUV be more likely to be broken into than a truck (I've read that we need to leave our windows down and car unlocked).

2 - Would an SUV be reasonable to drive through the national park or would a pickup be better?

3 - Anything else I'm not thinking of?

Thanks!

michaeto
06-19-2012, 01:03 PM
We have always rented a jeep (previously from Total, yet Hertz next month) as my wife prefers an automatic transmission and it hasn't been an issue. We drive the entire island including the park without any issues. I don't think the vehicle type would change your fortunes. We always leave the windows open with nothing more than a t-shirt or a towel left behind and we haven't had a problem (knock on wood!). Last year at 1000 Steps the pickup next to us ended up with a stolen battery and some of there things stolen.

jkehnle
06-19-2012, 08:23 PM
We've had tiny cars (don't go to the park) as well as trucks and Jeeps (either of which can negotiate the park). Divers seem to favor pick-ups -- easier to load, I suspect.

As to protecting personal property -- just use good sense. Don't leave stuff in the in the vehicle, particularly if you're diving/snorkeling in remote areas. The one notcommon sense rule in Bonaire you've already noted -- don't lock up.

BTW, I, and many other BTers heartily recommend Poppy -- aka Telerin -- for rentals.

susan
06-20-2012, 08:24 AM
The roads in Washington Park were recently graded, and, since we haven't had any torrential rains since then, they should still be in pretty good condition. According to STINAPA from just a few weeks ago, any vehicle can make the trek right now around the park.