PDA

View Full Version : Late afternoon Saturday marine park orientation

ScubaDave
06-12-2012, 03:31 PM
My son and I arrive on Delta's flight this saturday. Getting air from Buddy Dive(probably) but their last marine park orientation is at 2pm, unmakeable by anyone on the Delta flight.

Are there other places to get the orientation?

Thanks for any help you can give me...

David

Anouk
06-12-2012, 04:06 PM
If you drop by Belmar they will have one extra orientation at 16.00. If you get unlimited air over there you can also pick up tanks at Buddy Dive.

ScubaDave
06-12-2012, 05:25 PM
Anouk,
Thanks for the fast reply. I want to make sure I understand. I make my air deal at delmar(part of BD, right?) and do the orientation there at 4, but still have access to all the BD tank locations, most importantly the "main campus" since I am staying two "resorts" down the road.....

michaeto
06-12-2012, 05:51 PM
Dive Friends Hamlet Oasis is the place we use for the same reason. We did the orientation Saturday at 4:30 and saw our first turtle at 4:45. They are also easy because they allow you download the STINAPA form at their website. You fill it out in advance or on the plane. All you have to do is sign and date it there and gear up. Very easy plus they have several locations to get air/nitrox.

Anouk
06-12-2012, 06:27 PM
You will have acces to Buddy Dive and Belmar. and yes dive orientation at 4pm.

Anouk
06-12-2012, 06:39 PM
So you don't need an orientation at Dive Friends? You just need to sign a form maybe without reading it.... and of you go? I would think that as a dive operation you would want to try to inform people well about the rules and regulations, the reefs and also not leave a possiblity to maybe sell something to people?

michaeto
06-12-2012, 06:45 PM
@Anouk....You miss understood...Dive Friends does the orientation. It is faster because you fill out the questionaire in advance. It is very quick, especially if you have been there in the past. They are also very flexible in that as long as they are open you can do your check dive as opposed to set times at most dive ops.

Anouk
06-12-2012, 07:17 PM
Aha didn't know you had to do check dives at specific times at some dive locations? At Belmar it's up to you when you want to do your checkdive. Scuba Dave, if I we're you I would just check the pricelist and see what is most convenient for you. there is also Wanna Dive with more then one location. I think if you just go for unlimited air then your good off with whatever you choose. Check with you dive shop for some nice dive locations like up North, Tailor Made, Candy Land these are really nice dive sites. if you really want some good info on dive sites buy Susan Porters book, Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy!! That book gives you all the information about the divesites like how to get there, how to get in and what to expect there!!

Carolyn
06-13-2012, 10:23 AM
Of course Dive Friends Bonaire supplies our divers with the mandatory Bonaire Marine Park orientation! We also provide our guests with information about dive sites and the island. Michaeto is entirely correct (thanks for having our back!), we offer check-ins and orientations at any time during our working hours and have an express check-in form on our website.

Anouk
06-13-2012, 11:40 AM
Carolyn, at Belmar a lot off times people that just walk in don't want to do orientation, I must say it's mostly dutch people. They walk out off the shop, come back 10 minutes later with tag, they say they bought at Port Bonaire Dive Shop and buy their airpackage with Belmar. Because they have a tag we must assume they did orientation... While we know that that is almost impossible in 10 minutes.

tschamp
06-13-2012, 01:08 PM
I've gone though orientations about six times over the years.

I think there are about three parts to most orientations:
1) the BMP part: where to dive & not dive; don't wear gloves; no spearfishing; latest lionfish details, etc.
2) the resort part: how to check out tanks; where the empties go; where the key is hidden, etc.
3) the sales part: the courses we offer; boat trips and salt pier night dives; photo-shop rental gear, etc.

Plus there's the buoyancy check you do totally on your own to make sure your lead's right.

Doing parts 1) and 2) could be done in ten minutes, especially if you've been to the resort a few times already...

Carolyn
06-13-2012, 02:50 PM
OOoh! Tom - you're fast! Do you want a job at Dive Friends? ;) Seriously, our orientation for our divers follows the general format that Tom described. The only thing I'd like to add is that we also personally supervise the buoyancy check to make sure that people are correctly weighted. We keep it so friendly, easy and fun that I'm not sure why anyone would have an objection to taking part in something that is for the good of the marine environment.

It is not our normal policy to sell BMP tags to people that are not diving with us. However, on rare occasions people ask to buy them if they are going to both snorkel and visit the Washington Slaagbaai Park.

Anouk, I take it that you work at Belmar? Please read the excerpt below from the Bonaire Marine Park website. Even if divers walk in with BMP tags in hand, the orientation is your responsibility.
The regulations that apply to all users of the park:
1. The Nature Fee (http://www.stinapa.org/naturefee.html): All users of the Marine Park must pay an entrance fee. Known as the Nature Fees, these are once yearly charges of U.S. $25 for SCUBA divers and U.S. $10 for other users. A $10 one-day pass for SCUBA divers is also available. The Nature Fee can be paid at dive centers, the activity desks of hotels, through providers of activities in the Bonaire National Marine Park or at the Visitor Center (http://www.washingtonparkbonaire.org/visitorcenter.html)at the entrance to Washington Slagbaai National Park.
2. Orientation: All SCUBA divers must attend an orientation with their dive operator (the center from which air tanks are obtained) before diving in the BNMP. The orientation consists of a ‘dry’ part and a ‘wet’ part. The ‘dry’ part is a briefing on the Bonaire National Marine Park rules. The ‘wet’ part of the orientation is the check out dive, which is always supervised by the dive operation providing air. Repeat divers are required to attend a dive orientation and perform a check out dive every time they are back on island.

J Brown
06-15-2012, 08:29 AM
Anouk, are you getting in trouble again?

See you soon....:cool:

Anouk
06-15-2012, 11:58 AM
like always J!!! your gonna be here soon aren't you? you want to join us on a hunt when you are here?

crewchef
06-15-2012, 02:29 PM
ScubaDave, family and I will be on same flight. If you're looking around the gate area I'm the big guy wearing a Leisure Time Dive Center ball cap. We're using Dive Friends at Hamlet and hope to get by there before they close Saturday afternoon. If we don't make it we'll be waiting when they open Sunday AM. Already have our forms filled out. We used Dive Friends on our last trip down, good experience.

If you and your son are looking for other dive buddies drop me a PM here or just reply to this post. Three divers in my group, myself, son and daughter. We're staying in a house close to Buddy's

ModFreddie
06-17-2012, 06:19 PM
I would like to remind Anouk, Carolyn and Patrick <when he completes his registration> to please ALL read the TOS again...

I have altered your signatures to let people know what shop you are affilitated with... There is NO advertizing on this site, I want to remind everyone!!! If you want to adverize I can send you our advertizing designers name .

If someone asks a question it can be answered but NO prompting.. Let's all play nice. All the dive shops on Bonaire are wonderful and have great deals so lets not get petty about it......

If you are associated with a shop or with a resort PLEASE let us all know your afflilation with said business....It is going against the TOS not to do so...This is the last time we will let this kind of slide......the next time there will be consequences....

PADiver
06-18-2012, 07:32 AM
At the risk of getting tossed off the site myself, I'd like to add my two cents to this thread. While Mod Freddie is correct about the TOS, my reading of all these threads did not give me the impression of any dive shop advertising for services. If anything, the three identified dive shop folks (and I know one of the three) were doing a very credible job of stating the STINAPA regulations regarding diver orientations and check dives. What I got from the thread was some questioning if the check dive was enforced and, to a person, all three said yes. If stating availabilty of hours at a particular shop is riding a fine line then I can accept that. I really felt that the posters were working in unison regarding Marine Park regulations.

Just for full disclosure, I a 5 time repeat customer of one of the three dive shops on this thread.

ModFreddie
06-18-2012, 08:05 AM
Thank You PADiver I also agree. however I received an email pointing out the fact that there may have been a overstepping of one of the posters, so We had to "act" on it... I just wanted to remind everyone, especially those engaged in Business on Bonaire or another place ,that this is not the forum to advertize in., and if they wish to EXPAND on what they were trying to get across , perhaps they should seek out the advertizing director... the users were also kind of in violation that they did not have in their signature for all to see without going into their profile, their affliation on Bonaire.. Ergo I filled in the blanks and did their signature for them...

If The thread had gone downhill buy name calling or advertizing blantantly it would have been removed and the offenders put on notice for a few days or banned altogether...

Thank you for your opinion and just to let you know, until I received the email, I also thought the thread was OK