PDA

View Full Version : Drift Snorkel

johnorman
06-05-2012, 03:06 PM
Is it safe to snorkel/swim along the shore and walk back to the hotel several hours later? Is boat traffic dangerous or do they stay in channels?

stretch
06-05-2012, 09:59 PM
If you stay close to the shore in shallow water the boats won't come there, and
you should be Ok. Watch out for dive boats coming into the hotels to dock and let divers off .
Have fun !!

jkehnle
06-06-2012, 07:55 AM
My wife would start at Pink Beach and drift snorkel for an hour or so -- probably never more than 50-60 feet from shore. I would drive the truck to a designated spot and wait. She would occasionally meet shore divers or other snorkelers. She loved it...

ModCecil
06-06-2012, 08:00 AM
You should be fine as longe as you stay out of the blue water which is lousy snorkeling anyway. The general rule for all boats on Bonaire is white water is considered a no wake zone while blue water is wide open. There's also just not that much boat traffic compared to many places. For reference here's a shot of 1000 steps and you can easly see the line in the water.

As far as drifting there's generaly not much current on Bonaire, the only two places I can think off is the Klein and channel in front of Eden Beach. Most people swim back to the starting point.

johnorman
06-06-2012, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the info! Only 51 more days until departure.

george and judy
06-06-2012, 01:37 PM
We have been snorkeling of the shore for over 18 years and have never had any problems. We swim/drift from Divi to Richards and back every day. The best drift snorkel is with Dee on the Woodwind; don't miss it.