PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on Bonaire Car Rental

bboy
05-14-2012, 05:52 PM
Anybody with an opinion on this company? Thank you.

nestakai
05-18-2012, 06:37 PM
Just giving you a reply. We posted, fruitlessly, on TA and I feel bad no one has replied to you. The good thing is that if someone that read this thread had a bad experience, you would know about it. Ive only rented a vehicle in Bonaire 3 times but I have not had a problem. Good Luck.

bboy
05-18-2012, 07:49 PM
Yes it was me on TA so it was not fruitless. Thanks for helping me out. I finally choose AB because they seemed to be the only company that will come out and help you even for a flat tire. Bonaire rentacar wrote that if you have a flat your on you own and you have to get the tire fixed yourself. If your tire needs to replaced then it is the renter's responsibility.

ModFreddie
05-18-2012, 08:10 PM
I am sure Poppy would do that too...... just sayin

bboy
05-18-2012, 10:20 PM
Yes Freddie, I did write to Poppy and had a very good feeling about her. She did not have any automatic trucks, only manuals.I did not want to have to do all the driving and my wife has refused to do manual. So I went for an automatic SUV with AB. Unfortunately spending as lot more. Maybe next time if we like Bonaire

nestakai
05-21-2012, 11:49 AM
I will throw myself out there and say "I Promise You Will Like Bonaire!" I understand you are visiting in August. Is that correct?

fraserfraser
05-21-2012, 12:03 PM
bboy,
Have rented with ab many times in the past. never had slightest problem with them although the first inspection made me extremely paranoid. maybe that's a natural state for me :-) Have only rented previously with AB so can't comment about others. Did rent once with Netty but she is long gone unfortunately , so that doesn't really matter to you.
Having said that after somewhere between 7-9 times with AB I am going to be going with Poppy next March. Heard such good things about the experience I am going to give it a go next time.

nestakai
05-21-2012, 12:18 PM
I heard great things about her, too. She's getting my money July 1. I have also used AB without incident. I can't recall any negative episode in Bonaire. Driving, Diving, Dining. 5.5 weeks and counting.

ModFreddie
05-21-2012, 01:43 PM
One thing that you might take into consideration... we used to rent from budget until we found Poppy... one time Budget wanted to rent us a spanking brand new truck.. all nice smelling and everything... 1. it didnt have a spare tire...which i am sure they would have remedied 2. it didn't have a scratch on it, which I am sure WE would have remedied to the tune of $$.. We gracefully turned down that truck for a more USED,{ read scratched}, vehicle.. and we sure are glad we did :)

nestakai
05-21-2012, 02:10 PM
Right on. I want a reliable, beat up, pick-em-up truck. Walk around, not necessary.

fraserfraser
05-21-2012, 02:41 PM
I don't want to make out that there aren't issues with Petty and Not so Petty theft when it comes to rentals. I have heard stories and take precautions. Never happened to me and hope it stays that way. have never had an issue but I am with Nestakai and Freddie don't want anything but a beater. okay tires though would be nice :-)

bboy
05-21-2012, 07:07 PM
I thank all who have written here. I decided to go with AB. I know I am really paying for it but with their insurance, they will come out for any problems including flat tires. I do not want to do all the driving on vacation and my wife , while able to drive manual on a regular car, has refused to drive a manual truck. So I am going with an automatic SUV. Nestakai, I am arriving August 4th, and promise that I will have a great time exploring the island.

fraserfraser
05-21-2012, 07:50 PM
again AB is great to deal with. they will take good care of you if you have any issues with the rental--that has been my history with them.

Tribs
05-22-2012, 08:29 AM
Bboy...you won't be sorry with AB. I have used them for all 7 trips. They have wonderful service. Even when something goes ooopsie, they make it right. For example, I'm currently here and my flight landed early (pilot had obviously not heard of island time). My truck was not ready, so they gave me a different one and when my truck was ready, they delivered it to me and swapped out the vehicles where I was staying. I cannot say enough good things about AB.

bcwolfen
05-22-2012, 09:54 PM
I have to agree. I have used AB for all 6 trips and have been happy with them every time. I have not used anyone else so really can not compare. My truck was always sound, ran good and never had any serious issues. I take the small issues with a grain of salt as I know these are rental trucks in a harsh salty climate. One truck had a very stiff tailgate, we even tries giving it some cooking oil to loosen it up but it didn't really help, another had the wire ties rusted off that held the tailgate up. No big deal, we just had to be careful as our 'gearing up' platform now had a downward slope. On our last trip one tire had a very slow leak, we knew they were short on vehicles as it was super busy. I always have a tire inflator that connects to an inflator hose with me when I travel ( don't leave home without one!!!!) Every 2 days after diving I would top up the tire and we were good to go again. I let them know when I returned the truck and they asked why I had not let them know earlier so they could fix it. Told them it was so slow it was no big deal.
Our friends did end up with a truck that had no reverse gear, that one got swapped out pretty quick. lol