PDA

View Full Version : Best Car Rental for Quality and Service- Automatic and American Express Preferred

bboy
05-12-2012, 11:26 AM
This will be our first visit to Bonaire. 4 of us arriving the beginning of August at 4:30 AM Saturday morning. Will it be possible to get our car at airport at this early time? We are snorkelers not divers but want to explore the island completely including the National Park. We also want to rent bicycles. Should we get a truck or SUV? Automatic transmission is important and I'd like to use my American Express for insurance if possible. The most important thing is renting from a reputable place that offers quality vehicles, good insurance, and will be helpful if flats or breakdowns. So I'd like advice reagrdimng the best company and type of vehicle. Thanks.

ModFreddie
05-12-2012, 11:46 AM
Welcome to BT bboy,

The are numerous thread about insurance and about car rentals Please scan through the threads.. Poppy's seems to be a popular rental but all the others budget Hertz, total, and Island plus a few more all have their positive points.. Poppies is the only one I believe that wil take american express so that may sway you. However unless you reserve your car early you will NOT get a Automatic transmission vehicle.. so plan ahead.. Again Welcome to BT and since you are a snorkler a car vs a truck would be fine but if you do plan on going into the National Park you will need a truck, I don't believe cars are allowed..... However please remember to NEVER leave anything that you value in the car OR truck and leave the windows rolled down...

jkehnle
05-12-2012, 06:45 PM
Telerin -- aka Poppy's. You will be met at the airport and sign one piece of paper. Wonderful or deal with, and ever so easy. Reserve ASAP!

bboy
05-12-2012, 10:55 PM
I sent an email to them and am waiting for a reply. do they have a website? do they have double cabs with automatic?

jkehnle
05-13-2012, 07:49 AM
No website. They do have crew-cab pickups for four people. Don't know about automatic transmission...

connie
05-13-2012, 08:07 AM
I suggest you check with Avis at the airport - - if you are reserved they will be there for you at "ugh o'clock" when you arrive, and they do indeed take American Express. You don't really need a pick up truck if you are snorkeling. You can rent a small 4 door SUV with automatic transmission with a/c (ex. Daihatsu Terios) You can take this vehicle into the National Park. You can get information and a quote from them by email at avis@bonairelive.com. Don't try to use the Avis Worldwide website - - you won't get the correct vehicle selection or the best rates there.

ModCecil
05-13-2012, 08:55 AM
Boy the other you might want to check, I believe that not even American Express will cover you when you rent a truck overseas. A car yes, a trunk no, AFAIK.

ModFreddie
05-13-2012, 09:11 AM
i believe it does cover trucks Cecil.. you have to sign up for the added protection I think it is something like $24.95 each time...at least that is what we do and we know we are covered...

ModRA
05-13-2012, 01:58 PM
I have used Amex with Hertz and Budget in the past 2 years with no problems .PLEASE keep in mind that the AMEX insurance DOES NOT COVER LIABILITY. After a lengthy conversation on Friday they sent me the documentation that clearly states no liability coverage. I will try and copy and paste later. I'm pointing this out since it has been a controversial subject several times and I feel like I finally have factual confirmation. Depending on which Amex card you have, the premium insurance is offered at varying rates and with the black card it is free of charge. Trucks and SUV's are included in the coverage also. I know automatics are available but I would clearly state thats what you want when reserving your vehicle. Many people choose Telerin but I have had good luck with all the rental places as I have used them at one time or another over the years. Not all will take AMEX though.