PDA

View Full Version : Luggage charges

Sandman
04-05-2012, 07:24 PM
Does anyone who has been to Bonaire taken one of the large Akona dive bags? (the ones with the pockets on the outside for fins.)

If I read United's site correctly an oversize bag is one totaling over 62 inches. By my measurements, the Akona bag is 72". Again, according to their web site, I am looking at an additional $200.00 to take the bag. We are flying out of New Jersey in 2 weeks and I need to know if we wasted our money buying the large dive bags a couple years ago.

tursiops
04-05-2012, 07:50 PM
Some general observations:
- Checking a second bag is cheaper than paying any overweight or oversize fees.
- It is hard to pack an oversize bag that isn't also going to be overweight.
- Status flyers (Gold, Business+ class) get 70 lbs per bag, and as many as 3 bags, checked free. But NOT oversize bags!
- A small hand-held luggage scale costs far less than one overweight bag.
- Most folks can travel with scuba gear and Caribbean clothes just fine with one non-oversize or overweight bag, and a carry-on, plus a "personal item."
- My checked bag weights 48 lbs with all my scuba gear, tools, etc. I put my camera gear and computers and clothes in my carry-on. My empty checked bag weights 12 lbs; there are much lighter ones.
- Bags are always weighted, but rarely measured. If you want to gamble, just make sure your huge bag is not too heavy as well....
- You see some really large bags and duffles coming off the conveyor belt in Bonaire!

Good luck.

nitrogenfixx
04-08-2012, 08:44 AM
Has anyone, recently, taken Delta Atlanta/Bonaire? In the past, we paid no baggage fees PHX/Atlanta/Bonaire, RT. Is Delta now charging baggage fees for those flights?
Thank you.

tursiops
04-08-2012, 09:50 AM
Yes. See http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/baggage/checked/index.jsp. Seeing Delta's actual rules rather than casual forum info is always good!

You can avoid the $25 first-checked-bag fee by traveling Business or First Class, being a Medallion member, having a Delta/AMEX credit card (it does not have to be used to buy the ticket), or being military.

Bill K
04-08-2012, 06:09 PM
I carry a large diving duffle that has dive gear and clothes for a week and weighs 48-49 pounds. This flies free on Delta according to the web info and this past December. Our entire family gets our stuff down and back for free -- three bags for three people. Who needs all those clothes in Bonaire anyway!

keyplayer
04-08-2012, 08:37 PM
That $200 fee is probably each way. It would be cheeper to buy a new bag for flying.

tursiops
04-08-2012, 10:12 PM
All those who used to get a bag for free (I did too) better check again.
The OP's question was, have the rules changed?
The answer is yes!