PDA

View Full Version : wet suit - 3mil shortie ok?

Sue
04-05-2012, 04:44 PM
I'll be snorkeling in Bonaire from April 14 - 28. Based on what I've read on BT about water temp I decided to buy a 3 mil shortie ( from a company that makes wet suits that fit larger women like me). I also own a 3mil regular wet suit - don't know if I also need to bring that along also. I get cold easily and usually stay in the water 1hr or more. Any advice?
Thank you Susan

ModFreddie
04-05-2012, 05:22 PM
think BURNED CALVES Sue....{and ugly tan line.. bootie line..plus shorty line ..}.. you might want the full wetsuit instead..... and hour in the Bonaire Sun is enough to gve you a nasty burn...

diverdebbi
04-05-2012, 07:19 PM
My husbands old Gold Core wetsuit was replacing my old hyper stretch...but so he'd to get on and off that I cut the arms and legs off and made a shortie.....big mistake...scraped my shins getting in t Angel City and ditto the tan lines...looked like I had a " farmer tan ".... Highly recommend the full suit...3 ml is good enuff

Sue
04-05-2012, 07:41 PM
Very good advice Freddy and Debbi. I worry a lot about getting scraped when I enter and leave the water. Also worry about sunburn. And I certainly don't want a burned bootie line! The 3mil full wet suit is such a pain to get into though but I definitely will pack it. Thanks for the advice

nestakai
04-05-2012, 07:41 PM
Only thing worse than calf sun burns are "top-o-the foot" sunburns. Truly.

ModFreddie
04-05-2012, 08:15 PM
I wear a light skin under mine,,, it helps when you put it on the suit slips right on.... and I am NO twiggy by a ANY means...

Tom T
04-06-2012, 02:08 AM
I also chill easily and snorkel for long periods (1 hour). In 14 years of trips to Bonaire I cannot recall feeling cold, except occasionally initially (10-20 seconds) when I jump in the water. Nevertheless I sometimes wear a skin to prevent sunburn from being in the water a long time.

smits
04-06-2012, 03:18 AM
I dive/snorkel on Bonaire since 1977. I never wear more than a t-shirt. Would hate the hassle of getting in and out of a suit. I apply a good sun screen lotion at the beginning of the day and never got burned - well except for the spot on the middle of the top of my head where my hair starts to get thin :-(

fraserfraser
04-06-2012, 10:44 AM
If you wear a 3 ml wetsuit for snorkeling do you have to where weights to get down (assuming you dive down at all)? I dive and snorkel with a Polyolefin Dive Skin in summer and most of the time in winter on Bonaire. This past March a 3mil wetsuit was probably a better idea ( do have a bare3/2). I need some weight even with my dive skin and its suppose to be neutrally buoyant but I am a bit overweight these days. Anyway curious always looking for better ideas snorkeling.

susan
04-07-2012, 10:11 AM
I was free diving a few weeks back..............because the water is down right cold right now (okay, you northerners, quit laughing!--it's cold to us islanders!), I was wearing a 2/3 wetsuit. I used a three-pound weight to offset the buoyancy of the suit and didn't have any problem with diving down. However, I am negative in the water without a suit, so if you are slightly positive, you might need a tad more weight.

Remco
04-08-2012, 08:19 AM
Hi,

My wife wears a long wetsuit when ging for a daytip to Klein Bonaire, otherwise she will wear a shortie. Both are 3 mil and thats oke for her (you should know she won't enter water colder than 25 degrees centigrade)

I tend to wear a 3 mil shortie and use a lot of suncream.

Good luck

Scuba Sheila
05-04-2012, 02:12 AM
Just my experience, I dive with a 5mil as I also get cold easy. If I'm snorkeling for more than a 1/2 hour, I also wear my 5mil just so I stay comfortable & it helps to keep the sun off as previously mentioned! Though I have snorkeled in a 3mil shorty, and it's certainly do-able, albeit a little cool! Agree that it's SO much easier to take on and off-Good luck!

Sue
05-05-2012, 04:34 PM
I ended up bringing a 3 mil shorty and was very pleased with it. Used lots of spray sun tan lotion on arms and legs and never got a sunburn. Had a wonderful two weeks in Bonaire despite the 12 hr United delay last Saturday am. At least we were taken to the Divi for the day for complimentary breakfast and lunch. Many of us took our masks and swimsuits so we could snorkel at Divi and use the pool. My boyfriend and I didn't get home to CT until 5:30am. Two very tired campers! We usually go to Bon in November but I've decided I like April better.

DeputyDan
05-09-2012, 01:29 PM
Sunscreen in more important than the length of the suit.

DiveSergeant
05-11-2012, 03:24 PM
Sunscreen in more important than the length of the suit.

Yeah, what DeputyDan said!

I did the whole two weeks of diving in beach shorts and under-armor-type tank tops. I do not chill easily, though. Sure, I got the odd scrape getting in and out and brushed some fire coral with my thigh once but it is a calculated risk.

More importantly, we both used sunscreen liberally and took supplements to help avoid sunburn. Nothing like a sunburn to dampen a vacation!

DS