PDA

View Full Version : Telerin's wait list.......how long to wait?

TIdlof
04-02-2012, 05:19 PM
We will be there for a week arriving May 12. We contacted Poppy last week but she's sold out but has us on the wait list.

We're content to hang out for awhile, but how long? Do the other companies have plenty of vehicles and we'd be assured of getting one PU truck from them around May 1 if we waited say 4 weeks?

To put it another way, is May a busy time or is it the beginning of the low season?

Any guesses on how long to wait?

TIA.

jkehnle
04-03-2012, 08:22 AM
My best guess would be to contact another rental agency. Telerin (aka "Poppy") is so well-liked that they are booked up several months in advance. Last time we used them, we booked 6 months ahead...

nestakai
04-05-2012, 10:01 AM
Im strongly considering renting from Poppy! Should I?

Judy W
04-05-2012, 11:47 AM
Most definitely! She's very popular, (reasonable prices and efficient) so you should book well in advance.

jkehnle
04-05-2012, 03:05 PM
Absolutely! While everyone else is lined up at the offices at the airport, you'll be on your way...

diverdebbi
04-05-2012, 07:16 PM
We had the easiest and best rental experience with Poppy in March...the paperwork is all finished before you even get there and the vehicle is awaiting..no hassle drop off too...we look forward to using Telerin Rental again next year and highly recommend

nestakai
04-05-2012, 07:39 PM
Booking with Poppy now for our July 1 arrival. Thanks all!

TIdlof
04-07-2012, 12:49 AM
Good news, she's got one for us. We were first on the wait list and someone cancelled. Happy about that.

jkehnle
04-07-2012, 07:44 AM
Excellent -- I suspect you won't be disappointed. And...you got lucky:woot:

dyan
04-17-2012, 12:51 PM
I was just talking with someone about car rental in Bonaire and was specifically told to NOT use Telerin. That there trucks were old and broken. Your comments sound like the opposite. Has anyone experience with Telrin this year? Also, what I'm looking for is a company that accepts AMEX. I can get the premium car insurance thru them, but I can't find a car rental company that accepts AMEX. Any thoughts there? Apparently their fees for merchants have gone sky high.

Thanks.

ModFreddie
04-17-2012, 03:27 PM
Welcom Dyan,

We were on island for two months this year.. We rented from Poppy.. since we were there for so long I told her that I wanted the oldest junkiest truck that they had.. We got what we asked for.... However only once, when we had tailgate issues, did I have to contact her.. And then before the next round of emails the tailgate had been taken care of. The old clucker got us to every dive site and then some all over the island, we never doubted it.... It may have not looked good, but with all the vines that have huge thorns on it around some of the divesites We were glad that there were already scratches and dents on the truck...... to each his own..... One year Budget tried to give me a brand new truck 7 miles on it.. I declined it and asked for an older scratched dented model..... I didn't want to pay for the first scratches on that baby.OH NO.... jmho ymmv :)

randl
04-17-2012, 04:38 PM
Welcom Dyan,

We were on island for two months this year.. We rented from Poppy.. since we were there for so long I told her that I wanted the oldest junkiest truck that they had.. We got what we asked for.... However only once, when we had tailgate issues, did I have to contact her.. And then before the next round of emails the tailgate had been taken care of. The old clucker got us to every dive site and then some all over the island, we never doubted it.... It may have not looked good, but with all the vines that have huge thorns on it around some of the divesites We were glad that there were already scratches and dents on the truck...... to each his own..... One year Budget tried to give me a brand new truck 7 miles on it.. I declined it and asked for an older scratched dented model..... I didn't want to pay for the first scratches on that baby.OH NO.... jmho ymmv :)

What she said!:rolleyes:

We were there last week with exactly the same experience. We asked for a scratch and dent model and got a fairly new Toyota dual cab pickup that ran perfectly, had great tires but was scratched, dented and marred throughout. Absolutely perfect! It took us over many miles of rutted dirt roads to remote sites. It was waiting when we arrived and we were met by the rep when we returned. We never had to contact anyone.

stretch
04-17-2012, 09:50 PM
Poppy does take American Express . We used her in Jan/Feb. for a truck rental and also asked for an old
scratched up pick -up, which we received. When we did have a clutch problem with the truck we were given another truck
immediately until our truck was fixed. We will rent from her again.

BonnieC
04-25-2012, 07:53 AM
We rented from Poppy in February and were so pleased we booked for next year as soon as we got home. I never want to wait in car rental lines again! We had a car since no one was shore diving. The car was older, but worked perfectly.
We have an AmEx card now. Has anyone actually used their rental car insurance? Would anyone recommend using AmEx and not taking the insurance from the rental company?

dyan
04-25-2012, 10:31 AM
Last year I used ONLY the Amex car insurance. Fortunately didn't have any need for it; however, in reading another post this year I realized that AMEX coverage is only for you/your car - there is no liability coverage for the third party in case of an accident and you are at fault. So this year I'm using both - AMEX and the CDW offered by the rental company. CDW provides the liability coverage and AMEX gives you a zero deductible in case of collision. For $25 it's worth it I think.

connie
04-25-2012, 06:11 PM
CDW provides the liability coverage and AMEX gives you a zero deductible in case of collision. For $25 it's worth it I think.

dyan - I think you should be sure to confirm the liability aspect of CDW. In fact, I think CDW does not provide any liability coverage at all and only covers damage to the rental car for which you purchased the waiver policy. I could be wrong, but be sure to see it in writing if indeed the rental agency claims it includes liability.

larry
04-26-2012, 02:39 PM
We used Amex with ABCarrental precisely because they were the last or one of the last agencies to take Amex cards. We learned in January that they no longer accept them, so I am not sure any rental agency does any longer.

fraserfraser
04-26-2012, 03:55 PM
Larry, Poppy does. have used amex in the past with AB. their have been a lot of stolen trucks the last time i was on Bonaire (march 2012) and so used full insurance. didn't want the worry. I am using Poppy next March. I am probably going to go full insurance route again as I personally don't want to worry but could use AMEX if I wanted.

dive junkies
04-27-2012, 11:13 PM
we have used poppy five times in the last 2 1/2 years never a problem. SHE ROCK'S

BonnieC
04-28-2012, 06:56 AM
You've made 5 trips to Bonaire in the last 2 1/2 years? I am so jealous!