PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 snorkeling spots to hit before you DIE!!

nestakai
03-29-2012, 11:25 PM
Let me be clear! I do not plan to die any time soon.

I am taking my 11 yr old daughter to Bonaire for her first time and I would like her to have a trip of a lifetime.

Please reply with your best 5 spots accessible by boat or shore, probably best we stay on the west side, though. She's great in the water and no stranger to the sea but we're looking for easy access and kickin' fish variety!

Seriously, if you had to pick 5, just 5! No ties, no "also-rans", just top pix.

Thank you in advance,

Nestakai

smits
03-30-2012, 02:20 AM
Wayaka II
Drift snorkel Klein Bonaire
Drift snorkel LaDania - Karpata (check the waves at Karpata first for safe exit)

Remco
03-30-2012, 04:55 AM
Wayaka2
Tolo
Lac, fishermens dock
Karpata
Klein Bonaire (Woodwind)

Patsy
03-31-2012, 12:33 AM
Bari Reef
Karpata
Klein Bonaire drift (on Woodwind)
in town south of Yellow Submarine
Plaza/18th Palm

All fun...Patsy ><((((o>

Bill K
04-02-2012, 09:30 AM
Our ten-year old made his fourth trip to Bonaire this past year for snorkeling, and many others have posted ideas about snorkeling. I would do Klein Bonaire and Karpata for the scenery, as well as the little yellow building across from the airport for the fish. Coral is beat here, but you can't top the fish. Enjoy.

nestakai
04-02-2012, 09:40 AM
I'm renting a boat to hit Klein with the fam. If there any "Klein specific" snorkeling sites that you would like to mention....

larrygross
04-02-2012, 04:09 PM
The Bonaire guide at www.tropicalsnorkeling.com is the best for Klein, the only one done since Lenny. BSDME doesn't cover it, but it's great around the main island.

smits
04-03-2012, 02:00 PM
I'm renting a boat to hit Klein with the fam. If there any "Klein specific" snorkeling sites that you would like to mention....

I did the same last year. Just anchor at a buoy near the small beach. Swim to the beach. Walk all the way to the left and do a drift snorkel back to your boat. Wear hard soled booties and use open heel fins.
You might consider using some skin protection while snorkeling. We encounter jelly fish every year. Or just anchor at any buoy, swim and navigate to the next one.
Depending on the wind, you will be restrickted to snorkel at the leeward side only.
Don't forget to ask for tubes, waterski's and other boards. Your daughter will love it.

Tom T
04-06-2012, 02:02 AM
1. Klein Bonaire (with Woodwind): turtles highly likely!
2. Wayaca 2 (in the Park). Hope the very friendly angelfish is still there.
3. Tori's reef: lots of fish close to shore in the reef.
4. Windsock/yellowhut/donkey beach (area across from airport) sandy beach, easy access, lots of sealife.
5. Benge (in the Park). Often too rough to enter. Unusual reefs perpendicular to shore, larger fish, turtles.

Two not on the list of 5 because they are not reliably available:
1. If it is calm, and you can book Renee, Lac Cai across from Sorobon is a mix of shallow and deep species.

2. The Salt Pier (across from the salt piles), but requires a guide (Renee?) or at least permission.

dfbpatrick
07-30-2012, 07:17 AM
Klein Bonaire from the boat is really good
Andrea 1 and 2
Cliff
Te Amo beach
Donkey beach

Dont forget to were something like booties or watershoes and you fish id map! always great fun with that the map

snorkeling vet
08-03-2012, 12:13 AM
The whole area around the Yellow Submarine dive shop. We stayed in a condo there and it while it has no coral there is a tonne of great fish. Perfect for kids too.
Klein Bonaire. Even with renting a boat I would still consider doing a Woodwind Tour. The ebook mentioned above is very good as well.
Lac Bay with Renee if the weather cooperates.
Bari Reef around the sunken building. Always a lot of fish.
A night snorkel at Divi's or by the yellow submarine. Renee is very good for these as well. Last time we saw a free swimming octopus that sat on rocks and gave us a great show.

Squirrelfish
08-04-2012, 10:32 AM
rates.
Bari Reef around the sunken building. Always a lot of fish.
A
I haven't been to Bari Reef since the 90's. I'll be returning in 3 weeks and hope to check it out. What sort of sunken building is there?
BTW - These are great lists. I'll be using them to help plan my snorkel itinerary. :D

Bill K
08-07-2012, 11:12 AM
Nick: The "sunken building" is actually the sunken and broken pier from the old Sunset Beach resort. It is just south of Bari Reef and can be accessed from the BDA/Den Leman pier or from the Front Porch dive entry off the traffic circle. It makes a good snorkel day or night but is a bit small for extended exploration.

Squirrelfish
08-07-2012, 01:17 PM
Nick: The "sunken building" is actually the sunken and broken pier from the old Sunset Beach resort. It is just south of Bari Reef and can be accessed from the BDA/Den Leman pier or from the Front Porch dive entry off the traffic circle. It makes a good snorkel day or night but is a bit small for extended exploration.
Thanks, Bill K. We used to stay at the Sunset Beach Hotel back in the lates 90s. I'll have to check it out and see how things look a decade later.
This is what the dive shop looked like back in the day! I was standing on the south pier when I took this.