PDA

View Full Version : Exciting News and a request for help :)

bcwolfen
03-19-2012, 01:38 AM
Hi BT friends!

We finally made it! With great help from Bob at Remax (Shameless plug because he and his team were so helpful) we now own a piece of property in Hato!!
HURRAY!!! :woot:

We are in need of some building code/requirements advice, plan submissions, and final plan review, engineering approval and submissions.
Does anyone have any recommendations for an architect firm on Bonaire that could help with these?

We are building 2 buildings with 4 condos each that we are selling/managing so will need a firm that is versed in commercial code requirements not just residential.

I can never remember if that sort of information can be displayed openly (Mods help me out here)
If not please PM me the details.

Thanks so much in advance!

*going back to dancing on the ceiling*
:sing it out:

Gerald

billmosel
03-22-2012, 09:36 PM
I can't help you with your questions but.....CONGRATULATIONS!!

ruth
03-23-2012, 01:40 PM
If it were me I'd look into all the business permits required first...no point in building condos for rent/sale if you can't get a business permit to do that. Bob should be able to point you in the right direction for these applications. You can also find a lot of info on our government's website: http://www.rijksdienstcn.com/index.php?view=temp&set_language=EN

Good luck!

bcwolfen
03-24-2012, 01:05 AM
Thanks for the info, Ruth. I have looked at that site before but still find it confusing. The lot we purchased does have permits and plans in place to build 10 apartments but we are looking to apply to amend that to 8 units that will be a bit larger and leave room for a small pool. I am hoping that if we keep to the same area of land used that the amendment will be approved.

Vincent
03-24-2012, 02:45 PM
Hi Gerald,

Bob at Remax can provide you with all the information you were asking.
If you consider an architect, be careful, they can soak up your money for things you can do yourself. My credo is spend your money well.
If you really want good advise how to tackle your plan and make it work, than think local and do local, otherwise you will hurt yourself.
The route to happiness, happiness is the route.
I wish you good health and take it easy.

Vincent

MikeTruesdell
03-24-2012, 04:59 PM
Hey Gerald

We used an arch. suggested by Bob at Remax. Jan Okhuijsen supplied us with plans and applied and recievied our permit for us. Just get ready to wait and take Ruth's advice on the permit to do business.They dont ask you what month you turned in for permits ( when checking)they ask you what year.

bcwolfen
03-25-2012, 10:29 PM
Thanks for comments, tips and advice, its nice to hear what others did, had success with and where the hurdles were.

Vincent: My wife and I have backgrounds in design and construction so we will be designing and drafting all the plans ourselves. Unfortunately there does not seem to be a copy of any sort of building code for Bonaire that can be obtained so even simple things like building setback form property line I need advice on. The final plans will need an engineers/architects stamp of approval before being submitted so we will need a firm for that.
We definitely want to keep everything local and support the Bonaire economy!!

Mike: We will look into contacting Jan. On the plus side it seems that the new regulations state that business permits need to be approved (or denied) within 8 weeks as long as all the proper paperwork is provided. Hopefully that will help prevent some of the delays. The site Ruth gave me has be massively updated since I last visited. It has actual useful links and information now along with contact information for some of the departments. Great to see!

randl
03-25-2012, 11:07 PM
Gerald,

There is some information at http://www.ro-bonaire.nl/. At this site is the Spatial Development Plan for Bonaire. It indicates setbacks, maximum building percentage, maximum gutter and total building heights for each lot on Bonaire. Perhaps you will find it useful. We did.

randl (Roger)

MikeTruesdell
03-26-2012, 12:08 AM
Hey Gerald

If I can be of any help let me know. I think you will like Jan and his knowledge of the island and his designs. I too have been in the construction industry for the past 30 yrs. We are in the middle of a project right now up the road from you . I have a gentleman from our company on the island over seeing the project . Although a few of the builders on the island need little or no supervision and need only the language translation.

Bill Murphy
03-27-2012, 09:22 PM
mr truesdale

that is going to be one handsome looking house,you ole rattlesnake!

MikeTruesdell
03-28-2012, 08:55 PM
Thanks Bill
Cindy is living in the clouds, I dont know if I can bring her down. We are both proud of how it is working out. See you guys in July.

bcwolfen
03-28-2012, 10:53 PM
Roger: You are brilliant! That is exactly what I was looking for. 3m setbacks sides & rear, 5m at the front, 40% coverage, gutter height at 6m max height at 9m!
Thank you so much for steering me there. I have spent months looking and could not find it.

Mike: Thanks for the offer. We did manage to find an architect on Michael Gaynors recommendation. Seems very friendly, good rates and is more than willing to let us draft our own plans and then just review and submit them for us. Hope everything is going smooth on your project!

We'll keep everyone posted on how things progress.