PDA

View Full Version : Fish ID Software

Tribs
03-10-2012, 03:20 PM
With the ever increasing issues of luggage weight, I've decided to leave my ID books at home this trip. I'm looking for suggestions on good software programs for fish/critter ID. What do you use? Thanks! :hummm:

Patsy
03-10-2012, 06:10 PM
I have this set of fish i.d. DVDs:

http://www.amazon.com/Reef-Fish-Identification-Caribbean-Interactive/dp/0968530079/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1331416753&sr=8-2

They overlap with (and greatly expand on) the Humann and DeLoach Caribbean fish i.d. book that many people use. You can load everything on your computer and there is a tutorial on how to use the info for different purposes. There is also a pretty good reef fish app I use on iPhone, Reef Fish Florida and Caribbean.

I got both of these after our November trip when I LEFT MY BOOKS AT HOME by mistake. I was so annoyed with myself! Both of these are great. Good luck!

Regards...Patsy ><((((o>

billmosel
03-10-2012, 11:24 PM
There is an app from audobon called audobon fish. I have it on my computer and Iphone. It works just fine.

tschamp
03-12-2012, 10:30 AM
There's a good Website on Caribbean fish that I've used the last two trips as well. I don't have the URL right at hand...

larry
03-13-2012, 01:17 PM
I concur with the advice to get the most recent DVD by ReefNet. The current edition is ver. 4 and the producers are working on ver. 5. You might want to check on the next release date before buying. The DVD contains much, much more information than the Humann/Deloach book. Most importantly, it has photos of many fish not shown in the book, as well as many more images of individual species, including video clips of many. I rarely take the book any longer and just wish there were equivalent DVDs for invertebrates and corals.

Tribs
03-23-2012, 08:36 AM
Thank you everyone. I really appreciate the information.