PDA

View Full Version : Fisherman's Net at Port Bonaire

stretch
03-03-2012, 10:43 PM
There is a huge fisherman's net across the harbor from Dive Friends, Port Bonaire Site. It has

been there for a while. This area has many turtles and small eagle rays . They have a chance of getting

caught in this net if something isn't done . Someone said the fisherman are trying to catch bait fish .

What can be done to stop this ?

ModFreddie
03-04-2012, 03:57 AM
Hi stretch,
the marine park is aware of this net.......... I emailed Ramon and his answer is that at this time of year a certain fish is abundant and the locals are allowed to net them.. But they have to check the net a few times a day to make sure that no turtles, rays.etc are caught... Every year this happens.....

the marine park also watches over the net........

stretch
03-04-2012, 10:43 AM
Glad that you are staying on top of the regulations and talking to Ramon . The net has been up for 2 months now .
I swim there every day and have only seen someone checking the net on a Saturday. If a turtle gets caught in
the net it will be dead in an hour. The employees of dive friends are also very concerned about the net as they
can see the net directly across from where they work.

coldwaterlloyd
03-04-2012, 03:31 PM
Between this and the shooting incident I feel like changing my name to Grumpy Gus .

I am not advocating vigilante justice but why does that net not just ... disapear

Vann Evans
03-04-2012, 06:22 PM
I'm sure that the marine park authorities are watching--we were getting into the water for a dive there. there were several bonairians in the water with a small boat working around the net-obviously taking fish out of the net and putting them in the boat. We talked among ourselves about the net and wondered what was going on. Just as we were about to enter the water to swim across the channel, we saw a boat approaching and were waiting for it to pass. to our surprise, it was a marine park boat with 2 officers aboard. they motored up to the small boat and talked for a while and then started to leave. as they drove off, they told us to "have a nice dive".

we wondered what was going on-the people at Dive Friends said that they had been watching and the marine park had also been watching them and it was legal. we went back the next day and there were agin more people working the nets and collecting fish

Vann Evans Sand Dollar A4

connie
03-04-2012, 07:13 PM
I am an owner at Port Bonaire, and I can tell you definitively that the net has NOT been up for 2 months. I left Bonaire on January 14, and there was no net there. Perhaps the floating swim rope in front of Port Bonaire was confused with a fishing net earlier. The swim rope has similar flotation buoys on it as the fishing nets. It has been our experience over the past couple of years that the net stays up for about 3 or 4 days at a time. If it is staying longer this time, that is indeed unusual, but it is not illegal and Stinapa watches over. Of course, we also wish this netting didn't take place. It makes us very uneasy to see it, but the local fishermen are permitted to do it.

ModFreddie
03-04-2012, 07:34 PM
this is the email I got back from Ramon.

Hi Freddie:

Thanks for the head up and sorry for the delay in answering. Indeed this is something that happen every year in the "masbango" season (scads). They are not fished to bait but rather to their own use. It is not that STINAPA allows them to do it. Is just that it is not illegal and they can do it as long as they keep to the regulations and agreements. They have no intention of catching anything else and they are aware of the risk of catching other species. Last year a turtle get entangled in the net and the fisherman themselves keep her with the head out of the water and call us to assist them. We only require them to stay close to the net all the time to avoid similar situations. Normally they do. I will check the situation any way. Thanks agin for reporting r
STINAPA Bonaire

Ramón de León.
Bonaire National Marine Park Manager
P.O.Box 368 Kralendijk BONAIRE
Dutch Caribbean
Phone: (599) 717 8444 Fax (599) 717 7318
E-mail: marinepark@stinapa.org
Www.stinapa.org

stretch
03-05-2012, 10:11 AM
Thanks for forwarding the message from Roman. The fisherman are not there all the time and the net has been up
for many weeks , so they need to check it out.