PDA

View Full Version : Passport theft, what happens next leaving Bonaire?

alwayswet
03-02-2012, 01:47 PM
We are not discouraged about the increased theft, in fact we are booking our 8th trip for april now. However, we would like to be more diligent and prepared as there is more talk of theft...

Does anyone know what happens / what do you do if your passports are stolen while on the island?
Does a police report suffice to get back into the US/travel?
Also do any of the banks have affiliations wit US banks? If cash and credit cards are stolen is there anyway to get money by wire or transfer?

Just want to be prepared if things don't go as smoothly as our last seven visits!

Thank you

Bill & Joan

coldwaterlloyd
03-02-2012, 02:12 PM
Welcome to Bonaire Talk , I have always been advised to carry copies on you at all times and have copies at home where a friend or relative can retrieve . Be Prepared , boy scout motto

alwayswet
03-02-2012, 04:54 PM
Thank you..We have done as suggested in the past, but have never had to present a faxed document to immigration...

We were on the old board for several years as well, but thanks for the welcome!

Bill

mbs
03-02-2012, 05:33 PM
I've been scanning our passports and emailing the pdf to myself. Used to take photocopies, but now I assume I can get online and print it out somewhere. Now that I think of it, I have some really tiny usb drives. Maybe I'll just keep one of them on me at all times!

jkehnle
03-02-2012, 06:04 PM
Besides the above -- have at least one other photo id with you. A drivers license should do.

T\Also, type in "Lost US Passport" and visit the US Government website. It has lots of good information. With reference to a US Consulate, I assume the closest is either in Caracas or in Aruba/Curacao.

susan
03-03-2012, 06:36 AM
If a visiting American has a problem with a lost passport on Bonaire, yes, the protocol would be to contact the U. S. Consulate in Curacao. Most resorts/hotels/accommodation providers can assist in case of problems such as this. I also keep a copy of my documents available to me online, so I can access them from anywhere in the world and print out copies, should I ever need them.

DiveSergeant
03-03-2012, 10:54 AM
To keep documents secure while on island, has anyone rented a bank Safe deposit Box for the short-term?

susan
03-05-2012, 08:03 AM
I don't believe the banks offer that type of service--short term (week or two) rentals of Safety Deposit Boxes. And (although I could be wrong abou this), boxes might only be for the use of bank clients.