PDA

View Full Version : Car rental parking question/concerns

RodSD
02-27-2012, 02:25 AM
We will be renting a car when we visit Bonaire and doing the normal shore diving, shopping and restaurant visiting like everyone else. I have a copy of Susan Porter's "Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy" and also farmiliar with the ShoreDiving website. These both reccomend and describe parking for different sites. I do not intend to park illegally or where I shouldn't intentionally. I understand we should talk to the dive shops for instructions for diving or parking prior to diving house reefs. And of course not to block the road while parking.

But I am wondering if there a locations that one should be partiularly careful about parking and diving/eating out (or not parking or diving). Say one does not get or understand the correct information before diving or parking. Places that are not clear what the correct procedure is. Are there some places that look like public parking but are not? Do cars get towed if one does park in the wroung spot. What are the watchouts, cautions or beware ofs as far as driving and parking while visiting Bonaire.

ModCecil
02-27-2012, 09:07 AM
Rod thanks for bringing a smile to my face on a dreary Monday morning. the short answer is you will see, and no problem mon. Most sites have plenty of parking the only real question is how close do you want to get to the water vs. how much you like your rental truck. Even diving downtown it is still pretty easy to find a legal spot.

Lori
02-27-2012, 04:29 PM
A tow truck on Bonaire? When I needed one once, I could not find one! This post made me giggle! Just use common courtesy and you will not have any problem parking anywhere on the island. :cool:

ruth
02-27-2012, 10:35 PM
Actually, there are a few tow-trucks here now (and even a road-service business, like a caribbean AAA to handle break-downs and fender-benders, etc.). The police have been enforcing driving and parking rules a bit. When you get your rental vechicle, just be sure to get a map with the list of street signs (they're not American style signs), so you know what the basics are: like who has right of way, no parking either side/no parking this side, one way, no entry, etc. It's pretty simple, and relies on common sense, for example, there are only a few stop-signs on the island (3 that I know of; of course, still no traffic lights)--it is assumed that if you pull up to an intersection you'll have the common sense to stop. :D