PDA

View Full Version : transferring from aa to insel in curacao?

bsaimo
02-09-2012, 07:18 AM
We are flying AA from Miami to Curacao on Sat the 21st of April. Our flight gets in at 7:15pm and the last insel flight to Bonaire is at 8:15. We booked the ticket planning to gamble on speed at the airport. any ideas about our odds of making the flight? Any tips?

susan
02-09-2012, 08:51 AM
My advice? Run!

Seriously, it will be tight. Plan to get seats near the exit on AA so you can be first off. You will have to clear Immigration, get your luggage, go through customs, and then go around and re-check in. If Insel is running late, you'll be fine. If they are on time, they will begin boarding 15-20 minutes prior to your scheduled flight. After you get checked in, you still have to get through security, immigration again, and then to the gate.

If you already have seats on AA that are not near an exit, ask the cabin crew to perhaps seat you someplace else (pending room, of course) so you can make it off quick, but of course, you will still be subject to the whims of the luggage handlers.

Normally at that time at night, you only have the small commuter planes going, but if a big plane (such as KLM) is late coming in and coming in at the same time as you, you will get bogged down.

Good luck!

Susan

TankHalfFull
02-09-2012, 02:16 PM
After immigration, after you claim your bags, you are expected to put the luggage through another screening machine. Usually, if you tell them that you're on a connecting flight to Bonaire, they will wave you through without the screening.

Another tip is to have your $2 transit tax ready to pay at the top of the escalator, before entering security and out-bound immigration. (or it that emmigration?)

susan
02-09-2012, 02:41 PM
Huh, I've never been "waved through" the screening process upon arrival in Curacao, and I'm always connecting to Bonaire. And yes, once you've gotten bags, cleared customs, gone around to departure checkin, checked in, gone up the escalators, you will have to pay the $2.00 transit tax before going through security again. Immigration is on the other side of security, and then you can continue to the gate.

bsaimo
02-09-2012, 08:02 PM
sounds like this may be possible if everything goes perfectly. Anyone have a reccomendation of a cheap overnight convenient to the airport if we miss the last flight out?

thom
02-09-2012, 08:24 PM
From my experience, getting off the AA flight won't matter. Everyone will be through customs and waiting at baggage before the baggage gets there.

to do this, after you get your baggage you must leave (go outside) and go a block to the departure portion of the airport then check-in for your flight. Hopefully there won't be a line at Insel for another ride (there shouldn't be). After you check-in and get rid of your bags you must go upstairs, through immigration, then to the departure lounge/gate.

Doing all of this in an hour is going to be tough. You probably have less than an hour because the flight time is scheduled to depart, not board.

thom
02-09-2012, 08:31 PM
If you get stuck in Curacao, try http://www.apartamentuholanda.com

It's relatively inexpensive, he will pick you up at the airport then drop you off, if you want to go into town he'll get you there and back. Nothing fancy but it works for a night and is convenient.

rpdemink
02-10-2012, 10:51 AM
If you get stuck in Curacao, try http://www.apartamentuholanda.com

It's relatively inexpensive, he will pick you up at the airport then drop you off, if you want to go into town he'll get you there and back. Nothing fancy but it works for a night and is convenient.

We have tried that connection from Chicago and couldnt make it, its usually easier to plan on Apart. Holanda overnite and relax, we also do the same thing coming back. Alan the owner is absolutley great!

bsaimo
02-11-2012, 01:13 AM
Thinking now of traveling through Curacao airport with only carry on luggage. This should probably expedite the process.

fraserfraser
03-19-2012, 09:51 AM
just did the AA insel Curacao Bonaire and back run. Immigration is the issue. we had KLM flight etc arrive at same time. Its chaos if that happens. On the way back it was a piece of cake. Allan is great and will use him again. it very hard to say about the time because it does depend on what other flights are arriving. For the flight arriving at 2pm in Curacao or so I'd say two hours atleast. Other times 20 minutes max its really hard to judge.
Should add they did manage to lose a bag for a day--Insel that is--hard to believe but ...

SkyQueen
03-19-2012, 02:05 PM
just did the AA insel Curacao Bonaire and back run. ...

I am going to be doing the Curacao Bonaire run on Insel also. I've been trying to figure out what the luggage allowance is but I am confused. Do you know what the checked allowance is? How does the extra 10 kilo's for divers work? Also, will I be able to use a standard roller bag for carryon?

fraserfraser
03-19-2012, 02:50 PM
SkyQueen,
never asked about it or had an issue. they seem nonchalant about the luggage but i was concerned too. I packed as light as I could but still it wasn't light. but really don't have a direct answer. not concerned about carry on either--had dive computers, regulators, masks and change of clothes in one carry on--no one cared,not AA or Insel. Insel will check it before you get on the plane to Bonaire--short flight no storage overhead so...no issues except for miss tagged bag that arrived next day. check the checked bags,don't trust them, its the Caribbean after all :-) really need to double check.