PDA

View Full Version : Delta Delta.....Delta

jepuskar
01-30-2012, 10:37 AM
Hi everyone,

1st post on the new forum....don't know when things changed, but I tend not to come around here unless a trip is in the works as it's depressing. :(

Ok, on to the traveling question. Has anyone flown Delta recently from Atlanta? My last 5 or 6 trips to Bonaire I've flown Delta and I have payed $400-550 RT. Looking at the current prices it's coming in around $800. It is what it is, but I'm curious if any repeat visitors have paid more recently? Not sure if I should pull the trigger now or wait. :)

Thanks,

Jason

Vino
01-30-2012, 11:16 AM
We flew Delta from ATL to BON on January 7th and returned on January 21st. I used miles for my wife and I, but the couple traveling with us paid 985.00 each (with tax) booking 4 months in advance. I monitored the prices after the purchase and they never dropped for that flight.

BTW, our flight had 3 empty seats, the flight attendant told us it was due to a flight that had been delayed.

Judy W
01-30-2012, 12:38 PM
Still watching prices for our trip in May. Last year we were in the high $700's. Right now, I'm looking at $1100! I can remember when we thought $500 was high! Hoping they come down, but not betting on it. Don't know where you're flying fom Jason, but you might look at Insel out of Charlotte or Miami. That's my other option, but not nearly as convenient.

wwguy
01-30-2012, 12:59 PM
I keep a pretty close eye on Delta fares to BON. I don't see prices fluctuate much and they seldom drop. (Last year I bought tickets in February for December travel, and I kept an eye open for fare changes during the months in between.)

Depending on where you live, you may actually pay less (overall fare and/or cost per mile) by purchasing a flight that originates outside of ATL. For example, an April round-trip fare from ATL>BON>ATL is $820. If you start and end in St. Louis, flying STL>ATL>BON>ATL>STL, the fare only increases $100 to $920.

jepuskar
01-30-2012, 01:20 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm coming from Chicago. Been to the island quite a few times since 02, and haven't paid above $700 on any trip for airfare, so I'm a little stubborn...not to mention I'm not paying for just me anymore. I know we can't predict airfare costs, so just trying to get an idea of when to pull the wallet out.

I think it's too soon at the moment, so I'll keep an eye out on it.

Looked at Continental, never did like their flight times and their price is higher than Delta. Need to look at AA again, but my searches didn't come up with anything. thought they were a Wed/Sat schedule to Bonaire.

J

george and judy
01-30-2012, 01:26 PM
We flew Delta from ATL on January 14 and returned January 28. We paid $887 when we bought tickets in July 2011. There were only 2 empty seats from ATL and about 10 coming home. All the empty seats coming home were due to a storm that prevented people from getting to Bonaire on the 21st. We had friends fly Insel from Charlotte and they were pleased with the flights and arrangements.

wwguy
01-30-2012, 02:41 PM
Been to the island quite a few times since 02, and haven't paid above $700 on any trip for airfare, so I'm a little stubborn...not to mention I'm not paying for just me anymore. I know we can't predict airfare costs, so just trying to get an idea of when to pull the wallet out.

I feel your pain. We've been travelling to Bonaire from Boise, ID since 1997. The airlines we selected have varied over the years, depending on who was flying into BON at the time and the fare price they were offering. Below is an interesting (and admittedly unscientific) comparison of the airfares we paid and the average price of gasoline at that time.

Year
Airfare
Avg. US Gas Price

$687
$1.41

$695
$1.15

$842
$1.84

$1111
$3.23

My experience has been that the price of gasoline is steadily rising at a much faster rate than the price of airfare. I see no reason to believe fuel prices will drop significantly in the near future, or perhaps ever, and so I can only assume airfare will continue to rise. I think the days of waiting for airfare "sales" are over.

I also travel frequently for work in the US and Canada (80+ flight segments last year) and I've had similar experiences... fares are going up, and there aren't any signifigant economic drivers on the horizon to push them back down.

jepuskar
01-30-2012, 02:50 PM
Perhaps my answer is the leave the family behind and just go alone. I'm sure that will go over really WELL.

Kimfair
01-31-2012, 09:04 AM
We've been looking at Delta for our Bonaire trip in October, and it's been fluctuating between $850 and $1100. We're hoping it comes down to below $1000 so we can book. Much more than our trip 2 years ago.

rpdemink
01-31-2012, 01:39 PM
AA doesnt go to Bonaire anymore, look at flights to Cur then take a puddle jumper to Bon. We have gone that way and its OK....sometimes have to overnite in Cur, but its easy peasy.

rpdemink
01-31-2012, 01:40 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm coming from Chicago. Been to the island quite a few times since 02, and haven't paid above $700 on any trip for airfare, so I'm a little stubborn...not to mention I'm not paying for just me anymore. I know we can't predict airfare costs, so just trying to get an idea of when to pull the wallet out.

I think it's too soon at the moment, so I'll keep an eye out on it.

Looked at Continental, never did like their flight times and their price is higher than Delta. Need to look at AA again, but my searches didn't come up with anything. thought they were a Wed/Sat schedule to Bonaire.

J
AA flies only to Cur now. Then you take another airline to Bon

billmosel
01-31-2012, 02:57 PM
I bought my tickets a few weeks ago for March 2 to the 17th on Continental's redeye from ewr....$636. About the same price for the past 3 years.

jkehnle
01-31-2012, 05:43 PM
Hi, jepuskar --

Others have alluded to it, but have you looked at Continental's fares through Houston. I've almost always found them lower than Delta's.

And, ya' know, if you don't spend it, the kids or the government will get it... :D

billmosel
01-31-2012, 07:17 PM
Now I get an email from yapta.com that Continental dropped the price for the same trip to $530..UGG

Vino
02-01-2012, 10:21 AM
You might also consider flying to Aruba on Delta and then catching Insel/DAE from there...this might require an overnight on the front or backend of the trip, but should save hundreds.

ATL to AUA in June is under 500, and with an Insel connector the total cost runs about 600-650/person. If you have several travelers the cost savings can be significant.

Two other points about this itinerary is that when returning to the US you go through US Customs in Aruba instead of Atlanta, and Delta offers flights to Aruba on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday so you'll have more options.

AA also offers non-stops from Miami to Aruba.

jepuskar
02-01-2012, 12:27 PM
Thanks everyone for the ideas. I didn't realize AA didn't go to Bonaire anymore...i don't keep up much on the happenings unless a trip is being worked out as is now. :)

gman
02-01-2012, 02:46 PM
I just booked my trip in March and am flying Delta. I used 50,000 miles for a free coach ticket. Just a couple of years ago, I flew first class for 70,000 miles -- now it seems to always be 100,000 miles.

Insel still has very reasonable fares from CLT -- but it all depends on how much you have to spend to get to CLT. It's about a 4 hour drive for me -- so I tried them out last Fall -- made all the connections, etc...but had some big delays. Since the airline operates on "island time", they don't seem to be in a hurry to do anything.