PDA

View Full Version : American Airlines SUCKS

thom
01-25-2012, 06:34 PM
Trying to fly AA on miles to Bonaire (Curacao really) or anywhere else for that matter? If your flight requires an AA connection you now must either overnight or pay double (or more) the miles to get there.

Even something as simple as Tampa or Dallas to Curacao now requires an overnight at your connection unless your willing to pay 35,000 miles one way instead of the old price of 12,500 or 17,500 one way.

Works the same way flying within the continental US. If there's a connection they will force you to pay double the miles (or more) in order to make the trip on one day.

Call them and they will lie directly. They will tell you the cheap seats are taken. Do some different scenarios and you will find it's a lie. The early flights from Dallas to Miami that will get you on the same day flight to Curacao are already sold out they will tell you BUT, if you just overnighted in Dallas because the trip started elsewhere and went through Dallas then there are seats on those flights.

AA SUCKS.

coldwaterlloyd
01-25-2012, 07:22 PM
I gave up a few years ago trying to cash points for flights . If they have merchandise do that and buy your flights , today i just got a 100 dollar gas card for 5000 airline points . Cashed in 50,000 for a stainless bar b que a couple of months ago ... the only way to fly ... frequent flyer points !

RosAnne
01-25-2012, 10:15 PM
We use AA miles for the last 6 years and if you are willing to fly any day but Saturday you can get low mileage seats. (we fly from the west coast) And for the last 6 years the lowest amount of mileage to Curacao has been 25000 for coach we flew first class for 35000. 12500 and 17500 for domestic flights only. I just used miles from JFK to SFO and it was 12500 for coach. go to the website and book it yourself, you can input specific flights for the lowest mileage, they will not do this if you do it over the phone.

thom
01-25-2012, 11:02 PM
RosAnne, that WAS true, it is no longer.

We've been doing the miles thing for 15+ years, I've spent more than a million miles, still have 300,000+ in the bank, I'm elite (gold) for life. I used the internet thing then called. The day doesn't matter, I tried numerous days. I tried a few interesting exercises also.

Book from Albuquerque to Curacao, I must overnight, I cannot get the early flight from Abq to Dallas so I overnight in Dallas then leave the next day and do Dallas to Miami to Curacao. Then I tried booking from Dallas to Curacao only. Guess what? can't do that in one day, must fly to Los Angeles, overnight then fly LA to Miami the next day then on to Curacao. Try another one, Fort Lauderdale to Curacao. They route me through DC where I must overnight before flying on to Miami then Curacao.

Of course if you pay 35,000 air miles (one way) instead of the 12,500 or the 17,500 then you can make it in one day.

So, If I overnight in Dallas, I can get from Dallas to Curacao in one day but if I start in Dallas it takes two days and I must overnight in Los Angeles.

And the girl tells me it's because the cheap seats are taken yet on some routes not a single seat on the plane is booked.

rpdemink
01-26-2012, 02:56 PM
We go thru Curaco all the time and have just gotten used to staying overnite to make connections, its really not a hassle if you have the right housing .

thom
01-26-2012, 05:30 PM
RP, it's not the overnight in CUR, I take that for granted. It's the overnight required in order to get to CUR.

Flying from Dallas to CUR, one way, for 12,500 miles or 17,500 miles they route you DFW - LAX - MIA - CUR, with a required overnight in LA. For 30,000 miles they drop the LA leg, take you from DFW - MIA - CUR

From Tampa, for 12,500miles it's TPA - IAD (washington dulles) - MIA - CUR with an overnight in DC, but for 30,000 miles it's TPA - MIA - CUR.

The reality is, the ticket price, in miles, just went from 12,500 to 30,000

iTimmmy
01-26-2012, 06:19 PM
I stopped flying AA when the cabin filled up with smoke halfway between PR and Bon. Cough cough !!

rpdemink
01-26-2012, 06:38 PM
RP, it's not the overnight in CUR, I take that for granted. It's the overnight required in order to get to CUR.

Flying from Dallas to CUR, one way, for 12,500 miles or 17,500 miles they route you DFW - LAX - MIA - CUR, with a required overnight in LA. For 30,000 miles they drop the LA leg, take you from DFW - MIA - CUR

From Tampa, for 12,500miles it's TPA - IAD (washington dulles) - MIA - CUR with an overnight in DC, but for 30,000 miles it's TPA - MIA - CUR.

The reality is, the ticket price, in miles, just went from 12,500 to 30,000
OOPS! sorry,
we come from Michigan and if we dont get tickets as soon as available, we have to overnite in Chicago

RosAnne
01-26-2012, 09:45 PM
Okay...I just put tickets on hold, flying from SFO on Thursday to Curacao with a 4 hour layover in Miami, arriving in Curacao around 2:30 for 17500 miles, return in 2 weeks on a Tuesday for 12500 miles. You have to play with dates and sometimes put in specific flights, it's time consuming and frustrating but if you are really trying to do this trip on as little miles as possible, it's worth it. PM if you think I can help you, it is possible, and sometimes you need to check flights 2-3 times a day because they change frequently as people change and cancel.

MikeTruesdell
01-26-2012, 10:49 PM
I have been flying aa from Dallas to Bonaire for years. I just flew myself and a friend to Bonaire on a Monday and returned on a Thurs. for 35.000 round trip. We usually fly Cont. but I get about a million miles every 18 months and we can no longer sell the airmiles. Looks like it is time to change cards if there is an overnight stay required. Be carefull not to arrive on Sunday in Cur without prearranged tickets or you will spend another night.

thom
01-26-2012, 11:08 PM
It looks like the cheap mile fares end in June, after that they require an overnight or 35,000 miles.

RosAnne
01-26-2012, 11:57 PM
Thom, please don't take this the wrong way but I think you are missing something, my tickets leave the the 3rd week in August and return the first week in September and no overnight is required. Not sure if your travel time is restrictive but I'd keep checking for more options. We have a kazillion American miles and we use them to fly frequently and very rarely have a problem getting almost what we want (we have to be a little flexible). And in case anyone is wondering I have no affiliation with AA, and honestly, my favorite airline is Virgin but the places they fly are very limited.

thom
01-27-2012, 12:10 AM
RosAnne, I stepped through, starting in mid August until the end of September. I did it for every day. If I pay $ it's cheap, $289. I can get their for 12,500 miles or for 17,500 miles or for 35,000 miles. The system just won't allow me to do it in one day unless I spend 35,000 miles. I've done this many times before, the system rules have changed, at least from Albuquerque. They do the same thing with the return trip. The planes are available at the right times, on some of the days the flight they will not allow me has not a single booked seat yet.

I tried doing it for SFO and it did work. Why don't you try ABQ? Let me know if it works for you.

parachute
01-27-2012, 02:04 AM
Okay...I just put tickets on hold, flying from SFO on Thursday to Curacao with a 4 hour layover in Miami, arriving in Curacao around 2:30 for 17500 miles, return in 2 weeks on a Tuesday for 12500 miles. You have to play with dates and sometimes put in specific flights, it's time consuming and frustrating but if you are really trying to do this trip on as little miles as possible, it's worth it. PM if you think I can help you, it is possible, and sometimes you need to check flights 2-3 times a day because they change frequently as people change and cancel.

RosAnne,

Just curious, the flight from MIA that arrives in CUR @ 2:15pm leaves MIA @ 11:20am. You say you have a 4 hr layover in MIA, which means you arrive @ ~7:20am, so I guess you are taking a red-eye? Maybe that is why the miles are cheaper?
Is it possible that you misread the flight times, because there is a 6am flight from SFO that arrives MIA @ 2:40pm, but then the MIA>CUR flight does not arrive in CUR until 7:15pm?

tschamp
01-27-2012, 07:59 AM
I tried doing it for SFO and it did work. Why don't you try ABQ? Let me know if it works for you.
Maybe the issue is more the domestic portion of the flight, not the MIA-CUR part.
AA is my preferred way of getting to both CUR & BON. I've done it with both miles and dollars and hope AA continues to be a good deal...

RosAnne
01-27-2012, 01:27 PM
Yes, you are right, our flight to Curacao via Miami is a red eye but the flight home which is more direct was less miles. I will check out what I get from ABQ, but I have a feeling because SFO is a major market, more so than ABQ you usually have a lot more options flying from a major hub. I know I get way better deals flying out of SFO rather than SJC or OAK, sometimes several hundreds of dollars.

tschamp
01-27-2012, 01:55 PM
I think 9 out of 10 divers prefer the earlier AA flight which arrives CUR at 2:15 PM.
This gives you time to get your vehicle and hit Centrum if you're heading out to Westpunt (on CUR).
Or it gives you time to connect to your choice of hopper airline to get over to BON.

Right now AA is asking $618 RT BOS-CUR for mid October which is a tad high.
I suspect if I wait till they come out with their Hurricane Season prices I'll get a better deal...

thom
02-07-2012, 02:10 PM
Every flight needed to make it from Albuquerque to Curacao in a single day is available for miles with the 17,500 mile price. They are just not available in a combination that will get me there in one day.

If I leave Saturday early morning, I can get the early morning flight to DFW but not on a flight from DFW to MIA in time to get the Curacao flight, I must overnight in Dallas. If I leave Friday, I must still overnight in DFW but then I can get the Saturday flights I need to get me from DFW to Mia to Cur in one day.

All the flights needed are available at the 17,500 mile rate. The system will not let me use the combination needed to get there in one day unless I pay the 35,000 mile rate. When I called about this they (AA) were clear, I must pay the higher rate or overnight.