PDA

View Full Version : Sorobon Beach Resort? Captain Don's?

kusnorkel
01-18-2012, 10:26 PM
My husband and I are heading to Bonaire for our first (and possibly only?) trip to Bonaire. I really don't want to "mess up" by choosing the wrong place to stay. We're not divers (sorry! My husband has ear problems!) but absolutely love snorkeling and have heard Bonaire is the best. We want to stay at a place that is laid back, relaxing, and has easy access to incredible snorkeling. We don't want to spend a small fortune if we can afford it. Finally, we want to stay somewhere where we will have a great view of the ocean. Is Sorobon Beach Resort the place for us? Thanks to this forum, we know we'll rent a car (from Poppy if we can) so that we can drive to other reef locations and restaurants...

On the opposite end, we found a dive group who is going to stay at Captain Don's. Would you recommend this for us instead? Should we still get a car or will we end up walking to the restaurants?

Please help. I would hate to be on the island staying at the "wrong" place!

Thank you very much! Sorry, Forum Moderators, if I put too many questions in one post.. I'm just a bit overwhelmed about this decision and haven't found the answers through the search function.

Thank you!

ModFreddie
01-19-2012, 05:17 AM
Hi Ku ,

If there is a possiblity of you windsurfing or windsailing, Sorborn is the place for you. It is located on the eastern shore of Bonaire. On Lai Bay. you would have a beautiful view of the bay . I hear the rooms are all renovated very modern and very beautiful.
there are a couple of places next door for lunch and a restaurant not far.. You would definitly need a car as most of the other restaurants are on the west coast.

Capt Don's on the west coast, has a very nice reef, Nice rooms on the ocean, a pool, a good restaurant, and a little bar to hang out at.. If you are looking to be social , I would choose Capt Don's especially if you know people in this dive group you speak about. There are a couple of restaurants that are in walking distance, but it is still advisible to rent a car so you are not limited., Bonaire has some wonderful attractions other than diving or snorkling. Visit the Donkey santuary, Butterfly farm, go horseback riding, or take a trip up to Rincon and learn about the history of Bonaire.

with either accommodation you wouldn't go wrong, it just depends on if you want to be in the middle of things,Capt Don's or a little bit more privacy at Sorborne,
Most of the better snorkle sites are on the West coast, also PLease book a day or two with the WoodWind snorkle tour, you will not regret it......

ModCecil
01-19-2012, 10:15 AM
What Freddie said, I only thing I wanted to add is do worry about the decision either would be wonderful. It's hard to make a wrong decision when choosing where to stay on Bonaire as long as the credit card can take it.

ChrisR
01-20-2012, 05:15 AM
I don't really have anything to add except that I highly recommend renting a vehicle regardless of where you end up staying. For me, renting a vehicle greatly enhances the trip experience. It really lets you strike out on your own and explore the island, which (like Freddie said) has sooo much to offer. Bonaire is a really fun island to explore.

Also... while I dont know anything about your husband's condition, there is a scuba mask designed for people with ear problems. If you are interested take a look at: http://www.proear2000.com/ (I am not affiliated, just remembered reading an article about it somewhere)

-Chris

kusnorkel
01-20-2012, 03:47 PM
Thank you for the responses.. I guess there really isn't a bad place to stay on the island! After a few hours of research on the web, I think we're going to stay on the West end (mainly for the good reef). I'm still not sold on Captain Don's and am leaning more towards Sand Dollar now. I'm going to post a couple of questions about that place in new thread.

Thank you!
Katie

jkehnle
01-20-2012, 04:53 PM
Hi, Katie --

I wholeheartedly agree on staying on the west side of the island. You'll be nearer to restaurants/bars and the like, and, as you noted, you will be much closer to the best snorkeling. As the sun is setting, you can snuzzle down your favorite drinks and then swear to all and sundry that you absolutely saw the famous "green flash."

It is fun staying at a place where the divers hang out. Neither my wife nor I dive, but she snorkels 4+ hours a day. But when you can hang out and listen to the divers tell lies all evening, it is rather like enjoying it vicariously.

Definitely get the car. You can shore snorkel all up and down the west coast of the island.

A couple of other ideas. Check the "Snorkeling with Renee" website. She is excellent, and will drive you to specific snorkeling areas that she feels will be of particular interest to you. If you know some specific marine life you would like to see, and if it is observable in Bonarian waters, she will probably be able to get you it.

Check also the "Woodwind Bonaire" website. They operate a trimaran sailboat, and take small groups to a couple of snorkeling areas each trip. They, too, are quite knowledgable. I believe they operate out of the Divi resort.

Finally, I'll wager as much as $1.00 that this will not be your only trip to the island. It is simply addictive. Next month we'll make our 15th trip to Paradise.

Tom
01-20-2012, 07:09 PM
Gotta get on board with the staying on the west side, preferably in or near town. Walking up and down the main walkway along the water, possibly with a beer in hand, is wonderful at the end of the day. In town is quite nice, and not only if you like to party or shop. It can be quite relaxing and pleasant - take it from me, an old man at heart.

Definitely rent a truck, there is some really really good snorkelling in the park. Wayaka II etc - not much for reef structure (in the shallows), but epic epic epic amounts of fish life right off the little sandy beach in the rubble pile. Also try and fine hidden beach/north red barrel. The shallows there are crazy.

wwguy
01-21-2012, 05:59 PM
My husband and I are heading to Bonaire for our first (and possibly only?) trip to Bonaire. I really don't want to "mess up" by choosing the wrong place to stay. We're not divers (sorry! My husband has ear problems!) but absolutely love snorkeling and have heard Bonaire is the best. We want to stay at a place that is laid back, relaxing, and has easy access to incredible snorkeling. We don't want to spend a small fortune if we can afford it. Finally, we want to stay somewhere where we will have a great view of the ocean. Is Sorobon Beach Resort the place for us? Thanks to this forum, we know we'll rent a car (from Poppy if we can) so that we can drive to other reef locations and restaurants...

On the opposite end, we found a dive group who is going to stay at Captain Don's. Would you recommend this for us instead? Should we still get a car or will we end up walking to the restaurants?

Please help. I would hate to be on the island staying at the "wrong" place!

Thank you very much! Sorry, Forum Moderators, if I put too many questions in one post.. I'm just a bit overwhelmed about this decision and haven't found the answers through the search function.

Thank you!

Hi Katie,

I just replied to your other post regarding snorkeling near the Cliff dive site. After reading your post above I understand a little more about why you were asking.

My wife and I have visited beautiful Bonaire 8 times in 15 years, and have stayed at 6 different properties. All were great, but some properties are better than others for a variety of reasons. For that reason, I've always enjoyed spending time between visits reading internet forums and scouring the web looking for the next great place to stay on Bonaire. Other than our affinity for diving, our selection criteria seems similar to yours: oceanfront, easy access to the water, laid back, quiet, and good value for the money.

As I mentioned in my reply to your other post, we just returned from 3 weeks at Beachcomber Villas. We were impressed with all aspects of the property. Tim and Leanne are friendly and attentive hosts. The property is just as advertised on their website (http://www.bonairebeachcombervillas.com) and the reviews are accurate. You can see more reviews, including mine, on their HomeAway (http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p900690) or VRBO (http://www.vrbo.com/350432) listings. If you think this property suits your style, feel free to PM me with any additional questions etc.
Before leaving this beautiful property at the end of our vacation we made reservations to return again next Christmas. This time we're bringing friends! :grouphug:

-Roger S.