PDA

View Full Version : Bike or car?

marco
12-29-2011, 09:32 AM
We will be in Bonaire in January. Bringing our bikes and Chariot for our two year old. Can we travel around the island with this mode of transportation? We are snorkelers. Thanks for any imput. This is our first visit to Bonaire

smits
12-29-2011, 12:16 PM
The roads are bad (potholes, sharp objects). There is a lot of wind. I would not feel safe enough to have my child with me on a bike. Traffic is not really used to bicycles

lynnf
12-29-2011, 07:36 PM
You will be able to bike...just go on the roads less traveled. You will want to rent a pick-up...you can always put the bikes in the back. I would avoid the downtown area

jkehnle
12-30-2011, 08:53 AM
We use a car -- but we always see bikers on our trips around the island. I would guess that only 1/2 the island is accessible to you by bicycle -- certainly it would be hard work to get to Rincon and that general end of the island.

Another issue would be meals, particularly in the evening. It gets dark there right now! And dark in Bonaire is really dark.

Another consideration -- how much is the airline going to charge you to schlep the bikes and chariot? If the tariff is fairly steep, I would not bring bikes and apply those funds to a rental car. Indeed, I would lean toward not bring bikes at all, and if you feel the desire, rent a couple while you're there. But this reflects my "travel light" approach to things...