PDA

View Full Version : St. Louis to Houston to Bonaire

lorilynn
11-26-2011, 03:56 PM
I would love to hear from someone who takes this route. The first flight is a smaller jet. I understand the 40lb, 45" limit for the carry-on. The "personal item" is confusing to me. Can I bring an adult normal-sized backpack along with carry-on? Conflicting info on this second piece on different blogs online. (Continental)

randl
11-26-2011, 04:46 PM
I fly Continental quite a bit mostly within the US but also to Bonaire. In my experience, CO considers a personal item to be something that can fit under the seat in front of you...a purse, a briefcase, a smaller backpack and the like.

alaskadiver
11-26-2011, 06:52 PM
I would love to hear from someone who takes this route. The first flight is a smaller jet. I understand the 40lb, 45" limit for the carry-on. The "personal item" is confusing to me. Can I bring an adult normal-sized backpack along with carry-on? Conflicting info on this second piece on different blogs online. (Continental)

If you are flying the regional jet (Continental Express) then the carry on space is very small. You will be able to fit a small backpack. I don't know what your definition of normal sized is since there are a lot of backpacks out there. People stuff them with stuff to the point that they nearly explode.

In any case, it's not a problem. The personal item can be a purse or laptop case, it's no biggie. A backpack is not a personal item, it's the carry on. So you shouldn't be taking 2 backpacks unless your personal one is really small and will fit under your seat (small space on the regional). If your carry on bag is too big for the overhead they will just tag it at the gate and gate check it. You will pick it up as soon as you step off the plane.

Best advice from me (I travel very frequently for work) s to take 1 carry on that is within their specified limit and 1 small bag (if you must have another one). Please don't be one of those flyers that insists on carrying every thing for their 2 week trip in 2 large carry on bags and then holds up the boarding process because they don't understand why their luggage doesn't fit or why there is no room. :)

jkehnle
11-26-2011, 06:54 PM
RE: Personal items: our experience on many Continental flights is the same as Randl's -- if it will fit under the seat, it can go on board.