PDA

View Full Version : first time traveling with Sedula

BSchnaak
11-17-2011, 08:40 AM
Well, I've booked a 1 way flight and am arriving Saturday on Delta. I just got off the phone with Delta res. to verify that it was OK for me not having a return flight. The kind lady at Delta checked and informed me that I would indeed need a return flight booked in order for me to travel. I am going to eventually leave the island....I'm just not sure when. I know I'm not the only one with this dilemma. Insights and suggestions will be appreciated. thanks

Cecil
11-17-2011, 09:25 AM
One thing that did occur is to book a return flight full fare which is refundable or transferable. Probably not cheap but consider it a loan to the airline without interest.

scubaliz
11-17-2011, 03:11 PM
Bonaire let me in back in June on just a one-way DAE ticket from Aruba.

Then, in September, Continental let me travel to BON on only the second half of a roundtrip ticket. (while not identical, it is essentially the same thing...one way to the island, no pre-booked way off).

My reservation had no indication of a return flight booked off the island. Nobody seemed to care when I checked in at the US airport. And, once I got here, nobody on Bonaire asked to see any proof that I held a valid ticket off the island.

There are lots of reasons why you'd book a one-way ticket to BON. Island hopping then returning home from Aruba or Curacao, for example.

What is Delta's reason for making you book a RT ticket?

BSchnaak
11-17-2011, 05:37 PM
I may have gotten a bit spooked from a previous trip down where my return was over the 90 day limit...had to change that before I could travel. It's been a while since I was in the airline business, but I recall it being the airline's responsibility to make certain all of the documents are in order and the travel requirements for any country are met. If not, heavy fines may ensue. I'm going to get to the airport early on Saturday, play stupid if the subject is brought up, then cough up the money for a flexible "Y" fare return to use at my discretion.

bartontb
11-18-2011, 01:07 PM
Last June I flew to BON on a one-way ticket with Continental. At check-in the attendent started to get concerned "about my papers" and only having a one-way ticket. I showed her my valid Sedula, explained it was a residency permit for Bonaire - problem solved for her, and I was on my way.

Trevor
11-18-2011, 08:55 PM
From my recent experiences on arrival they don't ask how long you will be staying and there is no immigration form to fill in. Best of luck. are yo a diver as I am having difficulty finding a buddy.

BSchnaak
11-18-2011, 10:18 PM
@ bartontb...That's the kind of scenario I envisioned. @ Trevor....I wasn't worried about hiccups at the destination (BON), was only originating city that had me concerned. And yes, I'm a diver. I'm here through the end of January and I'd be pleased to get some dives in with you.

letoilenw
11-19-2011, 08:56 AM
Immigration usually doesn't care if you go "home" after, just that you aren't their problem. If it comes down to it, see if just buying a one way from Bonaire to Aruba will be enough for them.

Gmichael
11-19-2011, 09:53 AM
If you are a medical student and have all your letter of acceptance, etc. immigration will let you in..the problem is on the US side. I am addressing this with the US Consulate here and we are working to find a solution. Once you have a valid sedula or resident ID US airlines will allow you to board.

BSchnaak
11-19-2011, 07:39 PM
Well, It was all a non-issue. Handed my Passport and Sedula to the Delta agent in Daytona this morning, She check me right through no issues what-so-ever. I'm Here!!!