PDA

View Full Version : Happy Holiday Homes

lsloutsky
11-16-2011, 06:26 PM
Hello, I'm new to the site and to Bonaire. We will be going in January for our first time (it seems that most people go back many times). Does anyone have an opinion or information about Happy Holiday Homes? I already made the reservation, so can't change now. The owner has been very helpful and nice, but I'd like to get some outside opinions. What do you think of the place?
Is there a beach within walking distance? How far away is the city? Are there any restaurants within walking distance (it's in Belnem)?
Also, we are diving (also our first time!) with Dive Friends Bonaire. Any thoughts on them?
Thanks!
Lena

wwguy
11-16-2011, 07:18 PM
We stayed at HHH for 2 weeks over Christmas and New Year holidays last winter. We were very happy with the location, accommodations, and staff. Management style is a little more towards the Dutch style, meaning that they respect your privacy and leave you alone until you ask for assistance. Some Americans who associate frequent proprietor interaction with service may be a little put off by this at first. (We like it.)

You can see my review, and others, on TripAdvisor.com.

The only restaurant within walking distance is Roomer (http://roomerbonaire.com/). We haven't eaten there. If you click on "location" in the Roomer web page, you'll get an idea where Belnem and HHH is located.

There are very few beaches on Bonaire. Period. There are none with public access within walking distance of HHH that I'm aware of. When we wanted "beach time" we'd drive south and spend a few hours on Pink Beach, or hang out with the locals at Donkey Beach near the airport. Both are a short drive from HHH.

I don't have any experience with Dive Friends Bonaire.

Enjoy your trip!

lsloutsky
11-16-2011, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the info!
When I say beach, I mean a place to snorkel/dive.
We are not much for "hanging out" on the beach.

coldwaterlloyd
11-16-2011, 08:28 PM
Nice spacious accomadations .
There are a lot of skeeters due to the hoses supplied to rinse gear .
I recomend buying a can of insect killer such as Raid and keep the cabin "clear".
Not a good entry point to the sea that we could find .
I have stayed at a few of the budget accomadations on island and this is probably the best . Secure and everything worked .

Desertdiver
11-17-2011, 10:30 AM
Lena,
We have stayed at HHH last year and loved it. We are staying again this year there. Louise is amazing. She went out of her way to make us happy and even now after a horrible expierence with our first christmas plans, she is making sure that we are going to be very happy again.
The location is nice if you like a more quiet area.
I believe Roomer is within walking distance although we have never eaten there. THe island is small enough where nothing is really too far away.
Robert

scubaliz
11-17-2011, 12:03 PM
I'm staying there now for a few months. Louise is very accommodating and the place is clean, quiet and safe. I really like it. I haven't noticed any more mosquitos than anywhere else on the island, but I don't spend a lot of time sitting outside my apartment, either. All the windows and doors have screens, so it is nice to leave everything open to catch the breeze and not worry about being eaten alive by the mossies that get indoors. There are also ceiling fans in the living room and bedrooms and airco in the bedrooms.

Roomer has good food and it is just a block or so away. Easy to walk to.

Other than that, you will need transportation to get almost anywhere else. Belnem is primarily residential - besides Hotel Roomer, there are not any restaurants around there. Or grocers or shops. Just requires some strategic planning when you are out and about. No big deal.

No access to the ocean within walking distance (unless you somehow befriend the folks that live on the waterfront), but it's only a really short drive to The Lake or Bachelor Beach to snorkel/dive.

All the dive ops on the island are fine. DFB has multiple locations, making it easy to grab tanks wherever you happen to be. The one closest to HHH is Port Bonaire (across from the airport).

Have a great trip!

lsloutsky
11-17-2011, 03:34 PM
Thank you for the information, everyone! If anyone has any more comments, please let me know. I read the reviews on tripadvisor, but it's always great to have as much info as possible.
Remote and quiet is great for us, exactly what we were looking for. Louise said that there is a beach within walking distance for us to do a night snorkel, so we'll see. Maybe we will befriend some locals, my boyfriend is a charmer :p

We did rent a truck so transportation should not be a problem, and looking at the map it does seem like the city isn't that far away anyway.

We are really excited for the trip! I hope to be able to report good things when we are back.

fotodux
11-20-2011, 12:09 PM
We have stayed at HHH for many years and love the apartments and Louise and Mel are wonderful people, always helpful and friendly to everyone. We're always enjoy sitting on the front porch in the mornings and in the evenings after a wonderful day of diving or just having fun. Don't have any comments for you on the dive operation since I'm not familiar with them. Hope you guys have a wonderful time and enjoy your stay:)

Anouk
11-20-2011, 12:57 PM
Roomer closest restaurant (very nice) and Belmar Diving (Buddydive) closest diveshop.