PDA

View Full Version : What should our last dive be?

WaterDoc
11-10-2011, 03:35 PM
Leaving Saturday. What would you do as your last dive? :D

Already done this trip...
Lighthouse
HHooker
Windsock
Oil Slick
Bari
Bachelor
Margate
Red Slave
Invisibles
Karpata
Andrea II
Tori's
Red Beryl
And a few others I can't remember.

I'll check replies tonight. Off to dive the salt pier now.... :cool:

tschamp
11-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Good question; I'm not quite sure what the answer should be.

The last dive of a good trip is a bit sad since you won't likely be seeing the Usual Suspects in person again for several months or more.

I usually try to have my flight leave in the afternoon, so my last dive is the afternoon preceding. I think I'd recommend repeating a good dive close to where you're staying, with an emphasis on good light and not-so-deep water, getting a good 60 minutes bottom time...

Patrick
11-10-2011, 04:23 PM
If diving multiple days 24 hours is a safe bet.

tursiops
11-10-2011, 05:09 PM
I'd consider Angel City, going left on the second reef. I find the coral formations really impressive and healthy, with lots to look at. My other choice would be Something Special, for the intensity and variety of fish life.

But most of all, I'd go to Rappel, especially the plateau, which to me is the best dive site on the island. I've finished many trips there, and never regretted it once.

Bill K
11-10-2011, 05:18 PM
Oh, the quandries of diving Bonaire. Since you have already done Margate Bay and Red Beryl, I have to go with our other southern favorite of the outer reef at Angel City. Healthy reef, interesting critters, and easy to navigate. If you have a desire to go back north, do the steps and dive down the slope to about 80ft at 1000 Steps for some excellent corals. I hope to do all these next month! Enjoy.

gbf
11-10-2011, 05:57 PM
Go north, nukove, candyland, taylor made. Pack a picnic, stay all day. Take apres' dive beer, stop at seru largu on the way back. Hurry back to the condo right at dark. Shower and go to dinner at one of the water-side places.

A good way to put a wrap on the trip.

edit: assuming your flight is PM...

grunt
11-10-2011, 06:18 PM
I would second Candyland, pretty easy entry/exit and just stunning if you dive to the north.

Desertdiver
11-10-2011, 07:35 PM
I am always a sucker for my favorites. I know that I will be back the following year. I would simply say what was your favorite. If you are not planning to return to our favorite little islan I would say Candyland or Angel I love Angel.
Oh a few more weeks until we get there...

WaterDoc
11-10-2011, 07:36 PM
Thanks. We'll talk it over at dinner (Wil's tonight).

Bummed out that we haven't seen eagle rays, frogfish, lobster, or seahorse yet. We have, however seen an octopus in hunting mode, a massive triggerfish, and generally, some neat things. Reefs seem to have more fishlife than in previous years. Despite the Lionfish invasion.

coldwaterlloyd
11-10-2011, 10:59 PM
Candyland would be my choice for last dive of the trip .

michaeto
11-11-2011, 09:55 AM
Thanks. We'll talk it over at dinner (Wil's tonight).

Bummed out that we haven't seen eagle rays, frogfish, lobster, or seahorse yet. We have, however seen an octopus in hunting mode, a massive triggerfish, and generally, some neat things. Reefs seem to have more fishlife than in previous years. Despite the Lionfish invasion.

It is easy to find a seahorse at 18 Palms. The location is well known and I saw one there in August. It has been there for years. Check with Toucan Divers for directions or I can give you them

corybaby
11-11-2011, 10:09 AM
go north young man!

Tolo
OilSlick easy and different than all those south sites

WaterDoc
11-11-2011, 05:20 PM
Ended up doing Angel City at 7:30 am.

Saw 3 BIG groupers as we flew over the gap between the reefs. They came over to check us out. Then we saw a very large school of jacks on the outer reef as we headed south. On the way back, we see a solo diver with a mesh bag. He kicks with a purpose down to the sand, and it looks like he's harvesting coral or collecting fish for his aquarium. I watch him for a while and decide to wait until he surfaces to see if he's poaching.

On the surface, we see a STINAPA truck, and realize he's collecting water samples for research. :rolleyes:

Great trip coming to a close. Bobbyjans tonight for dinner, then to bed for our last night on the island and ready for an early flight.

Dive Biddie
11-12-2011, 04:04 AM
Definitely Karpata; and spend as long as you have air left in the shallows south of the entry on the way back.