PDA

View Full Version : cheapair.com. to use or not to use?

Captgerry
10-25-2011, 08:15 AM
I am going to Bonaire In april. I found the lowest airfare on cheapair.com. They were even lower than going directly to the airline the cheapair.com picked. Anyone have experiences good or bad with cheapair.com.

Thanks.

Cecil
10-25-2011, 08:49 AM
Welcome to BT Captain. The online reviews do not seem very favorable.

http://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/www.cheapair.com

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k949947-Cheapair_com_STAY_AWAY-Air_Travel.html

http://www.bizrate.com/ratings_guide/cust_reviews__mid--70359.html

Personally I would rather pay a bit more to book directly with the airline. YMMV.

jkehnle
10-25-2011, 09:52 AM
I agree with Cecil. You will pay a bit more, I suspect, but going directly to Continental's or Delta's websites seems safer to me. Motto: "If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is too good to be true."

We've used Continental out of Cleveland through Houston for years now, and it has always worked very well. Many others regularly use the Newark flight.

Delta has a great flight out of Atlanta on Saturdays, but for so many, the connection is a real squeeze. I've seen any number of recommendations that you fly to Atlanta on Friday and spend the night, and have a leisurely day for flying on Saturday

Captgerry
10-25-2011, 10:07 AM
By the way I am leaving from baltimore maryland on a Sunday

michaeto
10-25-2011, 10:24 AM
We have been to Bonaire 3 times in the last 4 years and have always flown Delta from BWI. While it leaves on a Saturday, it is the best way to optimize your time in Bonaire. It arrives at 2pm so you have time to check in and stock the fridge. This year we even did our orientation dive that first afternnon because we landed early at 1:30pm. The other benefit is it leaves later on the following Saturday which gives you that morning to explore Slagbaai or the south or east coast. We checked out the blow hole on the east coast this year and it was awesome.

Delta may be a little more expensive, but to get to spend more time in paradise is worth the additional cost.

jkehnle
10-25-2011, 11:09 AM
I couldn't figure out how you were doing that, so I went to BWI's website and saw the USAir to Aruba. Looks like a good plan. Did USAir do the Tiara Air reservations for you, or did you do that on your own?

Vino
10-25-2011, 12:02 PM
If you are a flyer that doesn't mind multiple stops using multiple airlines, then you can find some deals using these sites, as well as tracking sites like Yapta, that will alert you of price changes (up/down). From my experience the little bit of savings isn't worth the effort (YMMV).

There is a real disadvantage to using multiple airlines/vendors that could cause significant problems. If one of the carriers should happen to delay and/or cancel any segment of the flight, then the remaining segments will be affected, and since there are already so few flights to Bonaire, you might be delayed for days.

Example: Had our Delta flight from ATL to MIA been delayed enough to miss our Insel flight to BON, we would have been scrambling to find another flight...most likely AA to either AUA or CUR since Delta does not fly from MIA to BON, and Insel would not have been obligated to put us on any upcoming flights without a fee (assuming available seating). Even with interline agreements many airlines will point blame at the other. Not how I would want to kick off my vacation.

This doesn't even touch on what happens when baggage is checked through, and you change plans mid stream.