PDA

View Full Version : snorkeling with limited eye sight

bonsailing
10-20-2011, 03:18 PM
Hi I will be in Bonaire in Feb/2012 with my parents and a couple other people. My Father has limited vision but really wants to snorkel again. He was an avid snorkeler before his eyes had problems. I will also be with a nervous snorkeler who doesn't know if he will deal well with deep water. Can anyone tell me a good site for 6 people to snorkel that could accommodate these two people but still allow a good experience? Also my parents really don't want to use a tour guide but I'm wondering how safe it will be for my Dad without one. They were thinking Klein Bonaire. Any suggestions?

jkehnle
10-20-2011, 03:33 PM
Hi, Bonsailing --- and welcome to Bonaire Talk.

I'm not sure what you mean by "limited eyesight." However, my wife, who uses rather strong corrective lenses, enjoys the luxury of a snorkel mask with the glass ground to the prescription of her lenses. Your local dive shop can have that done for you. For her, it has been great! Worth every cent of the cost...

Cecil
10-20-2011, 03:41 PM
Welcome to BT, Bonnie. There are many shore sites that have easy extries/exits and should be good for your dad. Just make sure he has some stiff soled booties, no bare feet. There is little wave action or currents and his sight should be slightly better underwater. He'll have a ball, go for it.

Although it's needs to be said that a snorkel guide like Renee or Dee will make the whole experience that much better.

Gmichael
10-20-2011, 03:57 PM
Hi I will be in Bonaire in Feb/2012 with my parents and a couple other people. My Father has limited vision but really wants to snorkel again. He was an avid snorkeler before his eyes had problems. I will also be with a nervous snorkeler who doesn't know if he will deal well with deep water. Can anyone tell me a good site for 6 people to snorkel that could accommodate these two people but still allow a good experience? Also my parents really don't want to use a tour guide but I'm wondering how safe it will be for my Dad without one. They were thinking Klein Bonaire. Any suggestions?

Without going to huge expense, most dive shops rent masks with corrective lens..you may want to check in advance. I also suggest you do take a guiided snorkel tour, especially on Wood Wind or with Renee Snorkeling, at least initially for the experience. The best place to snorkel is in the shallows so deep water should not be an issue. Also, a flotation vest is helpful for confidence. Contact me if I can help. info@chatnbrowse.com

bonsailing
10-20-2011, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I think going with a guide would be best. I just have to talk them into it. Unfortunately no amount of glasses will help his sight. He has something called AION and it effected both eyes differently. One is like tunnel vision, the other he can see out of the bottom half when he's looking up. It's really hard to explain. But he has an amazng spirit and he isn't going to let it stop him. I just want him to be safe. Thanks again.