PDA

View Full Version : Best place to stay that has snorkel right off the shore?

Littlefish
10-19-2011, 05:33 PM
Hello,
This is will be our first trip to Bonaire... We are looking for the best place to stay that has snorkeling right off the shore. If you have any ideas it would be great to hear them.
We love to snorkel, relax on the beach (but Bonaire does not have many beaches) Dive, ride bikes etc...
We need internet and a pool.
Thank you,
Dorene

jkehnle
10-19-2011, 05:52 PM
Hi, Dorene -- I realize it is expensive, but look at Harbour Village. The beach is as close to perfect as we will get in this life -- gobs of sun and sand, but plenty of shade as well. My wife snorkels 3-4 hours a day, right off our beach. If you want to go out on their dive boat, they will welcome you and select spots good for both divers and snorkelers.

The resort is elegant...

DeputyDan
10-20-2011, 09:13 AM
Den Laman

Snorkeling heading south is top notch.

Wen Pederson
10-20-2011, 12:17 PM
I would urge you to consider Bonaire Beachcomber Villas (http://www.bonairebeachcombervillas.com/ and http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p900690)

We saw them last May and are booked next July. Great snorkeling in front at the "Cliff" dive site, pool and dive shop steps away, about 2 miles to town, walking distance to restaurants. The two apartments are less than a year old and are exquisitely appointed. The view from the terrace is amazing. The best part are the owners, Leanne and Tim. Just terrific people. They will arrange for bikes, I'm sure. I don't think you'll be disappointed!

Littlefish
10-20-2011, 05:20 PM
Thank you for everyone's Help I will check into these options. I really appreciate the input since we have never been there.

SpencerT
10-24-2011, 03:53 PM
My wife and I have stayed at the Pelican Reef house both times we've visited Bonaire. It is a private rental home. It is reasonably priced, close to town, private (but not isolated) and has a nice dive/snorkel out in front (Dive site- "Something Special").

We're headed back there in December and cannot wait!

love to snorkel
10-26-2011, 12:44 PM
We like to stay at the Divi Flamingo. It is close to town, has two pools, and the snorkeling off shore is great!!

snorkeling vet
10-26-2011, 10:37 PM
We recently stayed at Elegancia Caribe (#15) and loved it. Newer apartment, nice furnishings, amazing view, good wireless internet and it has a pool. The snorkeling is just steps away and was fantastic. The first day we were out we saw 2 octopuses, 3 scorpionfish, 2 porcupinefish and a lionfish in the first 15 minutes, not to mention all the 'regular fish'.

We booked directly with the apartment owner and there were no problems.

http://www.vrbo.com/370649

larry
10-26-2011, 11:16 PM
Look at both Den Leman and Sand Dollar. They both use the BDA dive operation and its dock. There is excellent rocky shore to the south and an old foundation, partially collapsed, that is home to many species of fish including sergeant majors, blue tang, glasseye snapper, and several species of parrotfish. Out to 50-75 ft from shore, there is mostly sand with many different species of fish enjoying that habitat including flounder, yellowfin mojarra, spotted goatfish and bonefish, among others. In the piles of dead coral, spotted morays and sharptail eels are commonly seen. On the north side of the dock, there is a small, but real, honest-to-goodness beach and sandy bottom off the beach. A bit further north is a good sized group of rocks close to the surface. It is home to one of the few remaining colonies of elkhorn coral on the island. Many beautiful yellowtail damselfish of all ages can be seen around the elkhorn coral. Still further north toward the northern end of the Sand Dollar property are concrete "reef balls" that have been placed in augment the fish habitat near the shore. One of the best places is actually right around the BDA dock, especially under the dock. Usually there are all sorts of things such as barracuda, black margate, glassy sweepers, multiple grunt and snapper species, scorpionfish, redlip blennies and an occasional octopus.

If you'd like more info, email me.