PDA

View Full Version : Best place to snorkel off shore

Littlefish
10-19-2011, 05:29 PM
Where is the best place to stay and snorkel right off the shore in Bonaire?
Or just the best snorkel place right off the shore?
Thanks,

jkehnle
10-19-2011, 07:23 PM
Hi, Littlefish --

Try entering "snorkeling Bonaire" and just scan through the websites. Lots of good information.

Also, try Barnes & Noble travel section for a book on diving and snorkeling in Bonaire. There are several good ones, giving locations, degrees of difficulty, and what one is most likely to see.

snorkeling vet
10-19-2011, 10:32 PM
I think that the area around Yellow Submarine is some of the best snorkeling on the island. There is not much for coral but tonnes of fish. There are many places to stay right there and it is also an easy walk to downtown.

I think that most places are pretty darn good and you can't really go wrong.

Patsy
10-20-2011, 12:26 PM
To put this answer in context, we are old, pretty new to snorkeling, and first visited Bonaire last year, so many others will likely be better informants. That said, when we get there again in a few weeks the first places we will visit are the shallows right in town (near Yellow Submarine as mentioned by another poster), the entry south of Den Lamen and Sand Dollar (parking lot off the northern roundabout), and the Plaza and Divi resort "beaches." With a car it's a cinch to visit places like Karpata to the north or many spots on the road south toward the salt plant. We also enjoyed exploring the little wooden pier west of Sorobon (drive to the turnaround) for things like lobsters. Last year, we were there during a wind reversal but still found many wonderful places to go every day. We don't even mind looking at the same fish twice, for example going to places we saw eels to see if they're still around. Everyone has their favorite place to stay (we will return to Coral Paradise) but no place is very far from wherever you choose.

You are going to love it!

Regards...Patsy

Wen Pederson
10-20-2011, 12:30 PM
Before we went to Bonaire in May, I purchased and downloaded (and transferred to my Kindle) Galen and Nicole Phalen's ebook "Bonaire Snorkeling Guide". http://store.tropicalsnorkeling.com/bonaire-snorkeling-guide.html

I found it extremely helpful and the directions to the sites and description of the entries and sights were really appreciated. Going again in July and the Guide will be with me!!

Patsy
10-20-2011, 12:41 PM
...of Galen and Nicole's snorkeling guide. We bought and downloaded it to our mini-computer and referred to it at night in preparing for the next day. See previous poster for link to the site.

Regards...Patsy

Wen Pederson
10-20-2011, 01:45 PM
I also think this ebook would be useful for first time shore divers on Bonaire. The snorkeling sites are for the most part also the shore diving sites - so the directions and entry discussions are pertinent for both water activities.

ModFreddie
10-20-2011, 02:14 PM
JUST MAKE SURE NOT TO TAKE YOUR EBOOK WITH YOU !!!! leave Nothing in the car valuable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not even in the locked glove box...

Wen Pederson
10-20-2011, 04:44 PM
JUST MAKE SURE NOT TO TAKE YOUR EBOOK WITH YOU !!!! leave Nothing in the car valuable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not even in the locked glove box...

Never do!!! Always in the safe. But good reminder to all!! Thanks.