PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a rental?

dollychik
10-19-2011, 11:18 AM
My new husband and I are headed to Bonaire for our honeymoon, arriving Saturday. So excited, it's our first trip. He's been diving since he was 10, I just got my Open Water certification about a month ago. We're staying at the Divi resort.

My question, do we need a rental car/truck/jeep, and if so for the entire week we're there? Is there any other way to get around the island to various dive sites?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

DiverVince
10-19-2011, 11:54 AM
Have a great trip & enjoy the island. However IMHO you do yourself a great disservice if you do not rent a vehicle. We strongly advise all our guests @ VINIBU to rent transportation.:)

Folivier
10-19-2011, 12:33 PM
We stayed near the Divi Flamingo Resort (about 2 blocks closer to the town square) and didn't get a rental truck until the 4th day of our 2 week trip.
We dove at Dive INN (Dive Friends) which is next to Divi for a couple days. Walked to town for restaurants (actually the first week we ate at the food booths for Regatta). And we walked to Cultimara Grocery & Warehouse Grocery. Warehouse is about a mile away, not a bad walk. Cultimara was closer for us.
But for shore diving away from the resort you will need a truck, unless you call VIP divers or hire a dive guide with a truck. Or dive from the boat at Divi.
We even walked (2 couples) to Pasa Bon Pizza one night. But we like to walk.:D

Gmichael
10-19-2011, 12:36 PM
Divi has a car rental desk on premises. You can reserve your vehicle for the days you want to go shore diving or exploring.

Cecil
10-19-2011, 01:04 PM
Yes, rent a truck, it's part of the experience. I mean how are you going to get to Lover's Ice Cream, or Lac Bay or the donkeys, or the park. You get the idea, it's a fairly small island and the driving is easy with little traffic and hard to get lost (although I did pull that one off once).

Congratulations and have a blast.

alaskadiver
10-19-2011, 01:42 PM
I can't imagine going to Bonaire and not having a truck. That would limit you to the house reef. Renting for a week is cheap and worth the effort. You are looking at maybe $300-$400 at most. There is so much to see on the island.
It's a long way to go just to dive 1 site repeatedly.

jkehnle
10-19-2011, 04:05 PM
YES! Our 15th trip is coming up, and every trip I've dropped the extra $400 for a vehicle on which we put all of 100 miles in 8 days. At the Divi, you're an easy walk into town and the restaurants. But without a car, you miss that beautiful drive past the salt works, up the windward side of the island to Jibe City. You miss the completely different drive to Lake Gotomeer and back through Rincon. If you're shore divers (neither my wife nor I dive) there are countless opportunities -- if you have a vehicle. Our favorite restaurant, Kon Tiki is worth a lunch visit on the salt works/Jibe City jaunt, and a dinner visit during the week as well. Then there's the donkey sanctuary, and the animal shelter, and...and...I don't know what all! And best all, you do it on your schedule!

Navigating around the island is bog simple. And you've come this far -- go the distance and spring for a pickup.

For excellent service and utter simplicity, check first with Poppy -- see information further down this thread.

OH, and welcome to Bonaire and Bonaire Talk!

Tom
10-19-2011, 05:36 PM
Also if you are planning only to do boat dives you will miss out on a lot. The boats tend to cycle through the same few sites. Not that they aren't great sites, and of course you need a boat if you want to dive klein.

However there are a lot of sites they won't hit. Rent a truck, do some reading online, and maybe grab a copy of Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy. Get out and do some shore dives.

ModFreddie
10-19-2011, 05:54 PM
Remember people the OP's are on their HONEYMOON!!

what better place then to take a ride up the "mountain" to see the cross on sierra lago {I think that is the name please correct me if I am not correct} to spend a sunset looking down on Bonaire in all it's pride. perhaps with a small cooler of champagne , a bagette and some cheese .......

Or to go out to lighthouse and share a moonlite night gazing at the stars from the back of your pickup truck with a few nice pillows and a blanket................ ahhhhhhhhh love :) give me time and I will think of some other "things" to do :) perhaps a skinnydip some place :):)

jkehnle
10-19-2011, 05:57 PM
Freddie, you old incurable romantic!

wwguy
10-20-2011, 01:54 AM
Lionfish and tiger groupers and bare buttocks... Oh my! :blush

Where does the line start?

jkehnle
10-20-2011, 09:31 AM
Bare buttocks? Is Sorobon back in business?

Do you know how to spot Ronald McDonald in a nudist colony? Sesame seed buns!

OFF TOPIC!!!:p

dollychik
10-20-2011, 01:36 PM
Thank you everyone for your responses, and tips and humor!! ;)

I have secured a rental with Poppy, looking forward to lots of diving and exploring the island. I'll definitely pick up that book if I can find it somewhere when we arrive.

That sunset spot sounds lovely, can't wait!

stretch
10-20-2011, 10:42 PM
Our first trip to Bonaire we didn't rent a truck but we met another couple who showed us the routine on Bonaire. Now we always rent a truck. The island is easy to get around and the shore diving is so anazing. You could always just rent for 3 or 4 days.