PDA

View Full Version : Delta and Continental flights

Joyfull
10-18-2011, 05:58 PM
We are holding tickets on Delta for Sat. Feb. 4th from Bonaire to JFK with a stop in Atlanta. Got flight change email Friday. Seems that the flight we have allready booked has been changed to leave Atlanta a full hour earlier & between our arrival in Atlanta & clearing customs, we won't be able to make it. They want us to take a much later flight which means sitting in the Atlanta airport for hours. Not my idea of fun. Anyone have this problem before?

Joyfull
10-18-2011, 10:14 PM
What I do not understand is that this Delta flight is supposed to be NY to Bonaire with a stop in Atlanta. Why on the return trip does one have to get off in Atlanta. Shouldn't this flight continue on back to JFK?

Joyce

alaskadiver
10-18-2011, 11:01 PM
It's all about allocation of equipment to meet the needs of the airline not just your needs :)

For assorted reasons they may need to change equipment or departure time.

We have to sit around Houston for 6 hours both ways because the only flight into IAH from ANC arrives at 5:40pm. Same deal going the other way. Bonaire is a paing to get to from across the country because of the very limited flights in and out of the country.

wwguy
10-18-2011, 11:04 PM
What I do not understand is that this Delta flight is supposed to be NY to Bonaire with a stop in Atlanta. Why on the return trip does one have to get off in Atlanta. Shouldn't this flight continue on back to JFK?

Joyce

Delta flies from Altlanta to Bonaire, then back to Atlanta, on Saturdays. There are no other Delta flights from Bonaire to anywhere else.

In your case the BON-ATL flight is separate from the ATL-JFK flight, even if you purchased both in one transaction from Delta.

I'm curious... where did you expect to clear US customs on your return?

ModFreddie
10-19-2011, 05:01 AM
Please continue your conversation here.

ModFreddie
10-19-2011, 05:10 AM
we fly Continental in january.. Newark to Houston and then Houston to Bonaire because of the possiblilty of weather delays we choose to spend 6 hours in Houston, that way we are pretty sure we will get to Bonaire..... Traveling out of Newark in nasty weather can be tough.... we would just as soon be in Houston,, have a nice leisurely dinner, hang out at the Continental club and be to bonaire when we said we would be. Coming home we fly direct Bonaire-Newark

SkyQueen
10-19-2011, 11:11 AM
I can understand your disappointment with the schedule change but count yourself lucky. For the holidays, we are flying AA from Iowa to MIA then Insel from MIA to BON. Same airlines in reverse on the return. The original plan was to spend the night in MIA on the way down. This week I noticed the AA flight from MIA to Iowa had been changed - they had us leaving MIA before we arrived. Long story short, we got it changed but we now have to spend the night in MIA on the way down AND a night on the return even though we get into Miami at 1:40pm. :eek:

It's never easy to get to Bonaire but it is always worth it.

Gotta Fly
SkyQueen

alaskadiver
10-19-2011, 01:48 PM
I can understand your disappointment with the schedule change but count yourself lucky. For the holidays, we are flying AA from Iowa to MIA then Insel from MIA to BON. Same airlines in reverse on the return. The original plan was to spend the night in MIA on the way down. This week I noticed the AA flight from MIA to Iowa had been changed - they had us leaving MIA before we arrived. Long story short, we got it changed but we now have to spend the night in MIA on the way down AND a night on the return even though we get into Miami at 1:40pm. :eek:

Gotta Fly
SkyQueen

The Miami airport hotel is very convenient. It's expensive consider what you get (very small room) but it's nice because you literally walk out the lobby and to the gate (well, depending on the airline).

alaskadiver
10-19-2011, 01:50 PM
we fly Continental in january.. Newark to Houston and then Houston to Bonaire because of the possiblilty of weather delays we choose to spend 6 hours in Houston, that way we are pretty sure we will get to Bonaire..... Traveling out of Newark in nasty weather can be tough.... we would just as soon be in Houston,, have a nice leisurely dinner, hang out at the Continental club and be to bonaire when we said we would be. Coming home we fly direct Bonaire-Newark

That's our plan too. Although coming from Alaska we don't have to worry about major weather delays since we don't get crippled by a snow storm like Newark does :)

Bill K
10-19-2011, 02:01 PM
I'm a bit confused (not an atypical condition!) since it seems that we have merged two ideas here. But I will attempt to answer the first query about DL flights. Yes, the DL flight is only on Saturday and only between ATL and BON. The return is sometimes delayed, and you clear customs and immigration Saturday evening in Atlanta when you arrive about 7:30 PM. It is sometimes a mad-house, so we always book an airport hotel, spend the night, and fly back north (BWI) on Sunday morning. This way you avoid the worry of missing a connection. As for the other conversation, I personally try to stay out of the Miami Airport, but....

Scubanut
10-20-2011, 12:50 PM
This may be impractical depending on where you live in Iowa, but have you ever thought about driving to Chicago and taking an AA flight from O'Hare (ORD)? Eastern Iowa is only about 2hrs away. In Sept I flew ORD/MIA, MIA/CUR on AA and then CUR/BON on Insel Air, all in one day! The leisurely return was at 1:30pm on Divi Divi to CUR and then the reverse on AA to Chicago. Got in at 7:30pm, time enough to get your car from the remote lot and drive home....Just a thought.

larry
10-25-2011, 01:31 PM
Delta just changed our mid-January itinerary which was JFK-ATL-BON and reverse. Delta has eliminated the 9:55 PM flight from ATL->JFK and it is not likely that we would have sufficient time to get through customs/immigration and have time to make the remaining (or new??) 8:45 PM flight the same night. Therefore, Delta in its infinite wisdom, has placed us on a flight that arrives in Pittsburgh at 11:49 PM with a flight to JFK from Pittsburgh on Sunday 6:29 AM, requiring an overnight stay. Of course, Delta did not offer to pay for the overnight expenses.

Delta has gone from having a JFK-->BON nonstop flight 3 yrs ago to the new state of affairs that essentially removes all reasonable possibility of flying Delta to and from Bonaire, departing from the NYC area.

wwguy
10-25-2011, 02:36 PM
Delta just changed our mid-January itinerary which was JFK-ATL-BON and reverse. Delta has eliminated the 9:55 PM flight from ATL->JFK and it is not likely that we would have sufficient time to get through customs/immigration and have time to make the remaining (or new??) 8:45 PM flight the same night. Therefore, Delta in its infinite wisdom, has placed us on a flight that arrives in Pittsburgh at 11:49 PM with a flight to JFK from Pittsburgh on Sunday 6:29 AM, requiring an overnight stay. Of course, Delta did not offer to pay for the overnight expenses.

Delta has gone from having a JFK-->BON nonstop flight 3 yrs ago to the new state of affairs that essentially removes all reasonable possibility of flying Delta to and from Bonaire, departing from the NYC area.

Hi Larry,

If you're willing to fly out of LGA instead of JFK, Delta might be willing to change your flight without changes fees. The flight below might get you to Bonaire and back without an overnight stay:

Here's a brief overview of Delta's policy regarding flight changes when the change is their fault:

Switching from JFK to LGA might be an obstacle to this policy, but they might be willing to make an exception if the new fare is the same or less, and if they're aware that the problem results from their canceled flight. You can also push back that their proposed change includes PIT, which wasn't part of your original itinerary and is unacceptable to you.

The best way to find out definitively is to call them. FWIW, I fly about 80 Delta segments a year. I never take "no" for an answer until I've heard it from at least 3 different Delta representatives. If you don't like the answer you get the first time, don't be afraid to call back and talk to someone else.

An alternative itinerary you could request, citing the same Delta policy above, is to request an overnight stay in ATL and then fly home to JFK on Sunday. You'd still have to do an overnight, but would have one less flight to worry about.

If it's any consolation, this will be the 3rd year in a row that we've had to stay overnight in ATL going both to and from Bonaire. We don't like the inconvenience and expense, be we do enjoy the extra peace of mind knowing we'll make all of our flights.

I hope this information helps.

larry
10-25-2011, 02:57 PM
Roger, thanks for the suggestion. It has possibilities, but the earleiest LGA flight arrives in Atlanta after the flight to Bonaire has departed from Atlanta. The return to NYC via LGA is good, but would result in our car in JFK long term parking while we are in LGA at midnight.

corybaby
10-27-2011, 09:55 PM

Gotta Fly
SkyQueen

Not only all those schedules challenges but your flying on AA.... We gave up on them years ago....they always overbook, we never got all our luggage, i was in line at the lost luggage dept with Larry David one year, and i doubt he was flying coach.........Continental/United all the way ever since that year and never an issue.. GOOD LUCK!