PDA

View Full Version : Flamingo Airport Delays

corybaby
10-07-2011, 08:45 AM
With the new runway ....whats the delay frequency? Last time we left Bon our flight was delayed 2 hours because there was a lite rain and they were afraid of the slick runway, causing us to miss our connection AND lose our upgrade (that was the worst part)...Is it better now? should hope so?
Thanks!
Cory

grunt
10-07-2011, 01:13 PM
I left two weeks ago on the Saturday Continental flight at 7:30 AM with no problems at all, other than a broken AC in the departure lounge.
There were overnight rains but none that morning.

alaskadiver
10-07-2011, 04:15 PM
With the new runway ....whats the delay frequency? Last time we left Bon our flight was delayed 2 hours because there was a lite rain and they were afraid of the slick runway, causing us to miss our connection AND lose our upgrade (that was the worst part)...Is it better now? should hope so?
Thanks!
Cory

Are you kidding? This is hard for me to take seriously since I live in Alaska where the airport never closes and certainly not for-rain :)
Delays are only caused by deicing of wings and snow removal on heavy snow days. Our airport in Anchorage sits on the edge of the water as well (mountains on the other side)

Why are flights delayed in Bonaire over a wet runway?

Dr Mike
10-07-2011, 04:44 PM
Irene,

At first I was thinking the same thing. I live in Florida. If they closed the airports for rain they would be closed most of the summer.

But it is a dessert Isalnd and they are not used to the rain and the runway my not be sloped or grooved to get the water off quickly. Also if they go a while without any rain there is an oil and dirt build up that could become very slick when water is added.

I travel a lot with my job and I hate delays. I run into them far too often but I always try to remember that it is better to be safe.

But if I lose an upgrade that really hurts. I hate having to fly with the common folks.

Mike

petri hausmann
10-07-2011, 05:41 PM
since here on bonaire there are no covered concourses .. you walk to the plane on the apron and runway.. for international flights often a fair distance-- the "rain' factor in all probability has nothing to do with the runway but getting the passengers into the plane dry and comfortable from the terminal .. the tropical brief showers come with driving rain and blustery winds. No umbellas are usually available either and they are useless in these "showers".

petri hausmann
10-07-2011, 05:44 PM
also "rain" delays occur here under a bright blue sky as the torrential rains are occurring in curacao or aruba and sometimes caracas and no planes can be loaded there either under these conditions.

alaskadiver
10-07-2011, 07:58 PM
Interesting. Thanks to all for the clarification.

I agree with you mike. Cattle class sucks. Especially when you're on vacation. I never do it for vacations.

corybaby
10-07-2011, 10:43 PM
Well that doesnt make me feel any better about it, i lose my upgrade because people will get wet boarding the plane?.........ugh

petri hausmann
10-08-2011, 08:03 AM
if the plane were boarded in the driving rain lets say in Curacao and the passengers were soaked to the bone, would you enjoy sitting in that soggy seat for your leg of the Bonaire-Curacao flight?????

petri hausmann
10-08-2011, 08:04 AM
that precluded mentioning the state of your luggage also soaked with rain...

corybaby
10-08-2011, 11:14 AM
ok i see that point, but i highly doubt the airline would'nt land, and fly to venezuela burning fuel all the while......why didnt they land and wait on the ground if that was the only reason?

:hummm:

petri hausmann
10-08-2011, 11:31 AM
perhaps i am unclear ... no inter-island flights originate in Bonaire .. therefore if there are torrential rains at the point of origin they will not board and the flight to Bonaire delayed .. it also works the other way .. if it is raining in bonaire snd it is not possible to board ..the flight will be delayed to bonaire at the point of origin .. i am referring to storms with very heavy rain, thunder, lightening and strong winds .. not a drizzle or occasional light shower. .. help or not? south american flights are frequently delayed because of weather.

corybaby
10-08-2011, 05:51 PM
im sorry i must have been unclear also as i was referring to the Main flights out of Bonaire
" Last time we left Bon our flight was delayed 2 hours because there was a lite rain"
The connections are never an issue coming into Flamingo, at least for us...
:)
im just happy to get there at all!

Even when we used to fly the american eagle flights and had our luggage delayed, i was happy to be there!
No Worries!