PDA

View Full Version : Dive Lights

jendiver
10-06-2011, 11:42 AM
Hi All,

Newb diver here again. I am wondering if I need to buy dive lights before our trip or if you can rent them on Bonaire. If I should buy them, please let me know what your recs would be for an entry level dive light. Thanks!

Gmichael
10-06-2011, 11:58 AM
You can rent a light from a dive shop. If you are only going to do one or two night dives, it is probably your best bet. If not, a simple 4 c cell light is more than enough..

Bill K
10-06-2011, 12:42 PM
You might want to contact your on-island shop to see if they have/rent lights. We just bring a 4-C light for each diver and one or two 4-AA ones as backup. The major house reefs have lights on the pier, so there is little problem in the clearer water.

tursiops
10-06-2011, 01:20 PM
If you are going to buy a light (good idea!), I strongly recommend an LED light....they barely use their batteries, are small, bright, and robust. Many use 3 AAA cells, so cheap and easy to get.

Take a look at the Intova....you can buy it for less than renting a not-as-good-light for a week. You can get them in wide-angle or narrow-beam...I prefer the latter, especially for looking under ledges and into holes in the daytime.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=626608&Q=&is=REG&A=details

thom
10-07-2011, 04:43 PM
Keep the amount of light to a minimum if you wish to get the best view. Bright lights will disturb the fish and will cause many of the animals to disappear into the reef.

I use a single LED bulb powered by AA batteries. Many years back I used a UK Halogen. It was Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to bright.

If you're a photographer with a strobe with a modeling light, the modeling light should be more than adequate.