PDA

View Full Version : Santa Barbara vrs Nikiboko

SunshineHugs
09-28-2011, 08:47 PM
Hello again everyone,

I have another question. As I stated in my last post, we will be moving our family to the island in the spring....and I am looking for opinions on which area to live in.

Two of the areas we are considering are Santa Barbara and Nikiboko.

The most important thing for us is that we are able to get around by foot for bicycle nearly everywhere (grocery, dining, beach, etc). We are an active family, and would strongly prefer not to use a car.

We don't need a "fancy" area. We have lived in the Caribbean before, and lived in local type housing.

We have 3 children whom I homeschool, so distance to schools is not important, although we do want somewhere family friendly.

Any opinions on which area would be best for us would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,

-AK

itsamugsgame
09-29-2011, 04:42 AM
Hello again everyone,

I have another question. As I stated in my last post, we will be moving our family to the island in the spring....and I am looking for opinions on which area to live in.

Two of the areas we are considering are Santa Barbara and Nikiboko.

The most important thing for us is that we are able to get around by foot for bicycle nearly everywhere (grocery, dining, beach, etc). We are an active family, and would strongly prefer not to use a car.

We don't need a "fancy" area. We have lived in the Caribbean before, and lived in local type housing.

We have 3 children whom I homeschool, so distance to schools is not important, although we do want somewhere family friendly.

Any opinions on which area would be best for us would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,

-AK

Hi.
From what you say, I would guess that Nikiboko would be more suitable. There is a mixture of homes in the area & a mixture of residents from all over the world. I would describe it as up & coming.

Santa Barbara is a lot further from Kralendijk than Nikiboko & has less in the way of facilities. Its fair to say that the houses are a little more up market & the residents are mainly non-Bonarian. Santa Barbara has an elevated location so there is a better opportunity for nice views, that said it will come at a price. I would guess that property prices would be 25%/30% more.

Nikiboko has grocery stores, general stores, eateries & bars & a gymnasium. Kaya Industria is close by which has some of the biggest supermarkets on the island & the centre of Kralendijk is probably only a 15 minute walk.

Before buying, I would always suggest that you visit the neighbourhood at different times of the day at night. What looks perfect in the sunshine could turn out to be a nightmare at night!

Good luck!

SunshineHugs
09-29-2011, 08:55 PM
Thank you for your reply....we were kind of leaning toward Nikiboko, and I appreciate hearing your thoughts.

BGW
09-29-2011, 11:15 PM
Didn't think home schooling was allowed on the island...?????

petri hausmann
09-30-2011, 08:26 AM
that is a good question .. there has been a condition for residency that if the incoming family has school age children they must be enrolled in and attend a local school. There have been so many changes, but this is certainly something you must "check out' before planning the move as if this law is still in place you will not receive your residency papers.

smits
09-30-2011, 12:44 PM
This has been discussed at lenght in the old BT.
Maybe one of the moderators can produce a link.

Cecil
09-30-2011, 12:51 PM
Old BT is amoungst the missing right now but it is being worked and should be back soon.

SunshineHugs
09-30-2011, 03:37 PM
Wow....thanks everyone. We've travelled a lot, and lived in different Countries (including in the Caribbean), and homeschooling has never been an issue. Definitely something I will talk to our lawyer about!

petri hausmann
09-30-2011, 04:29 PM
i don't understand that contacting your lawyer would be helpful. If this law is in place now after the changeover, it is a immigration rule of Holland and a requirement for residency in their country, now including Bonaire.. Let's not put the donkey before the cart. I would get in direct contact with INS (immigration and naturalization) on Bonaire and get the current facts.

SunshineHugs
09-30-2011, 11:22 PM
Thank you Petri. By talking to our Lawyer, I just meant I would contact to find out the current laws and requirements (I know a lot has changed in the last year). But you're right, it would make more sense to go directly to INS to get the facts (my husband also pointed that out to me :)).

-AK

petri hausmann
10-01-2011, 07:59 AM
just yesterday new tax laws were announced .. so changes are everyday! if you do not live on the island getting correct up to date info must be difficult at best .. that is why I strongly recommend DIRECT contact with the appropriate government departments.