PDA

View Full Version : Container shipping from the UK

LouiseH
09-19-2011, 11:15 AM
After a few years in the planning, our build on Sabadeco Terrace is about to begin so we can now start looking forward to our move to Bonaire. I've read lots of discussions about shipping from the US but does anyone have any experience of shipping from the UK? Any recommendations welcomed. Thanks

Vincent
09-20-2011, 03:28 PM
Hi Louise,

Try contacting an international mover company in the UK. They know the way which ports are used in the UK for container shipment.
Or have you tried Rocargo services on Kaya Industria 12 on Bonaire. They can help you further.
Good luck.

itsamugsgame
09-21-2011, 08:34 AM
After a few years in the planning, our build on Sabadeco Terrace is about to begin so we can now start looking forward to our move to Bonaire. I've read lots of discussions about shipping from the US but does anyone have any experience of shipping from the UK? Any recommendations welcomed. Thanks

Hi Louise.

I moved from North West England to Bonaire in 2004.

I was a logistics manager for national haulage so I looked very carefully into what was on offer. After some deliberation, we chose Simpsons Removals & storage in Kent.

I am not sure of your requirements but the set up is basically the same. We did not need a container. We were given the options of us packing ourselves or them doing it for us. We had about 25 boxes which roughly equated to a pallet. You will basically be charged on the sq mtrs that you need. At a guess, a pallet will cost between 600 to 800 (double check as that is a guess based on 2004) The price will also depend on your location in the UK. If for example you were in Kent, they collect direct but if you are further North, they will have to use a 3rd party courier or transport company.

In all fairness, it doesn't matter where the haulage company is based because the goods will have to be trunked to either Dover or Hull where they will be transported to Rotterdam.

If you have a lot of stuff then a container is your best bet. You can either cram it full of your property or sell some space to someone else. You will then be able to use your container for storage on Bonaire or sell it locally.

Don't forget to have as many receipts as possible for goods that you are importing into Bonaire. You will need to list exactly the contents of every box & have plenty of copies. If you take goods that appear new, you will get charged import tax if you can't prove otherwise. If you are taking motor vehicles, scooters etc, you will need to have proof of ownership for at least 12 months otherwise again, you will charged import tax.

If possible, get your stuff away well in advance. On average it will be 12 to 16 weeks between the goods leaving your house & arriving in Bonaire.

It all sounds complicated but it is more straight forward than it sounds. Simpsons were very professional & they served us well. You can contact them at: http://www.simpsons-uk.com/

If you need any further information, please feel free to send me a private message & I will be happy to help if I can.

Regards

Antony.........

Vincent
09-21-2011, 02:12 PM
Since 01-01-2011 new regulations apply. When you emigrate to Bonaire all household stuff are free from import and custom tax, there are a few exceptions. New stuff e.g. a new kitchen, you will have to pay 8% ABB.
You can find all documentation on : http://www.belastingdienst-cn.nl
Hope this is helpful.

MikeTruesdell
09-21-2011, 09:39 PM
Hey Louise
Vince is right on the 8 % tax on the container cost and its contents. I too have a permit coming out of the Gov. office for a build job in Sabadeco. I am still a little confused on the green car tax or not. Mercy over at Am car has been real helpfull with all my questions. Who may I ask did you chose as a builder?

LouiseH
11-15-2011, 10:55 AM
Sorry it's been a while in getting back to you and thanks for all the information.

We have gone with JPS Construction, recommended by Elton Augusta our architect.

Work is due to complete July 2012 so lots of things to research and plan for the start of the new year. :)